Majora and minora reduction 24th May 16. Have tingling/buzzing sensations!

Had majora resection, minora trim and subtle clitoral hood tightening and reduction. Good healing & cosmetic outcome so far. Troubled by paresthesia (buzzing/tingling) on upper left minora after touching it (eg toilet, showering). Only lasts a minute or so but worrying! Am massaging scars twice a day (surgeon's instructions). It's easing the tightness/scar lumps and all external sutures now gone. But I'm worried that these sensations won't go away - in your experience, does it lessen over time?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  Irritation to the nerves of the skin can create a myriad of temporary sensations, including a tingling or buzzing sensation.  This tends to resolve spontaneously given enough time, anywhere from 6-8 week and upward of 6 months.  As your tissue swelling resolves and your results mature you should see steady improvement.  Hang in there! and be sure to mention this to your surgeon.  

Risks of Surgery

The specific risks and suitability of these procedures for each individual can be determined only at the time of consultation.  All surgical procedures have some degree of risk.  Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally.  Major complications are rare. These can include infection, bleeding, (hematoma) , separation of the incision, changes in sensation, pain, increased sensitivity, unsatisfactory cosmetic results.  Any concerns of infection, new pain, swelling, bleeding , drainage should immediately be address by the doctor. Definitely if you are still feeling these sensations you should see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Best of luck, and I hope that all turns out well.

Self resolve

Unfortunately this does happen at times, however, they do tend to send resolve with no long term sequelae.   So keep patient and inform your surgeon about the symptoms you are experiencing.

As the healing progresses, these symptoms should also self resolve.

They Should go away

The problem with the trim is that the tissue is cut through and through. This divides nerves and blood vessels. The preferred method in my mind is the extended wedge, where only the tissue that is removed is cut, and the rest of the tissues are simply de-epithelialized. That said, the changes should resolve.

Tingling after surgery

Tingling and buzzing of the labial area after surgery is pretty normal and it usually resolve spontaneously in a month or two, but massaging the area helps a lot to alleviate the discomfort and facilitate the recovery of the nerve.  

Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD

Tingling/buzzing sensations after aesthetic vulvar work

Hello joolsboobs,
Congratulations on your intimate makeover! Since you're only 5 weeks postop it's not at all uncommon to have these sensations. In my experience I advise patients to give it time since it takes 3 months to fully heal. If these symptoms persist after 3 months you should consult with your surgeon.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Sensations after labiaplasty

can present in many ways but its most like nerves regenerating and this should simply resolve with time.  You can ask your surgeon if it does not or worsens.  Sounds like you had a great outcome!  Good to hear that!

Curtis Wong, MD