After Face/neck lift and platysmaplasty, I have some neck skin laxity either side of the midline repair - can this be fixed?

6 months post-op, the laxity either side of platysmaplasty repair is really bothering me. If I pull this skin backward towards the lower ear, it smooths out nicely. Can this be revised by re-opening the incisions behind my ear (& maybe the submental incision), or will the incisions in front of the ears/temples also need to be re-opened? Will a lot of undermining be required & is it a relatively simple procedure? Any risks regarding creating more scar tissue, and recurrence of skin laxity?

Residual loose skin 6 months post #facelift in the UK: what can now be done?

It is hard for us to recommend without pictures.  But it is possible to redo the procedure using the same old scars.  Muscles can be repulled too.  It might be possible without the temporal extension of the scar.

I would strongly recommend you visit your original plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Tuck-up after face and neck lift

In some cases, there may be some persistent skin laxity after a face and neck lift. The platysma muscle may be tightly repaired in the midline, but some fullness can persist on either side. This may be loose skin or small pockets of fat. An examination in person is needed to determine the exact composition. In either case, a less involved revision procedure can be done. This is sometimes known as a "tuck-up" and may be performed with or without a little liposuction as needed. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Have a recheck

A recheck with your doctor you can demonstrate the residual folds and the tightening solution.
Very likely this can be done to provide some improved results.
A revision under local anesthesia may help.
Best wishes, Dr. Denkler

Photos required

Do post or send pictures to provide accurate and founded assessment.

In case there is remaining or persistent excess of skin then a full undermining is required, to re-distribute homogeneously the cover of the neck-jowls-midcheek as a whole, since it is a single anatomical unit.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Skin excision

I have treated patients just as you described with additional skin removal behind the ears and it usually makes a nice improvement. Hope your surgeon agrees

best of luck

Recurrent neck skin laxity following facelift

Thank you for your question.  There is some natural relaxation that occurs following any facelift/necklift procedure.  The amount of relaxation varies from one patient to another, depending on the amount of laxity present preop and the skin elasticity of the individual.  It is impossible to make any assessment of your individual case without a photo.  It would be helpful to have preop and postop photos from the front and sides with the neck in a neutral position.  Revision surgery can certainly help address recurrent skin laxity in the neck.  This may involve a simple procedure under the chin for mild skin laxity, or a revision "tuck-up" facelift performed through the incisions around the ears for more significant laxity.  Either of these approaches can improve the issue and will typically be more simple than the primary facelift procedure.  I usually recommend waiting until at least 9 months postop before performing any revision work, so that your body has had sufficient time to heal from the primary procedure.  I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Requirements for proper correction of persistent neck problems after a facelift.

It sounds as though the skin of the neck was inadequately reduced. Without a picture this is just a speculation. The incision behind the ear needs to be long enough to mobilize the skin down to the clavicle for proper mobilization, advancement, and removal of surplus.

Laxity After Facelift

Many patients experience some laxity after healing and resolution of swelling. Without pictures its difficult to give you a definitive answer but there are essentially two paths:
The first, and least likely, is that your anatomy may preclude you from getting the exact result you desire. People with poor chin projection or necks that tilt forward tend not to get as clean a look as people with long sweeping jawlines and a prominent chin.
The second option is essentially whats been discussed meaning some form of surgical revision. Having incisions already allows the surgeon to reopen them and tighten the skin and or muscle.
Disciss your conerns with your plastic surgeon so they can assess your contour and help you achieve your goals.
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Relaxation in the first months after face lifting is not unusual.

I  think that this is a very reasonable approach to retightening your neck. I perform touch ups like you are suggesting in my office and the patients are pleased.

R. Louis Adams, MD

Skin laxity after a necklift.

If bothersome laxity is present 6 months after your necklift a reasonable consideration would be to reopen the incisions behind your ear and down your hairline to permit redraping of the skin and removal of excess. This is a judgment call of course but would be worthwhile considering if your appearance remains bothersome to you. Having some relaxation of the skin recur is not unusual.

Jon A. Perlman, MD