Lasting Redness After Laser Tattoo Removal? (photo)

I had my first laser tattoo removal session approximately 4 weeks ago. I'm concerned the laser may have been turned up too high. 4 weeks down the line I can see that a significant amount of ink seems to have gone, however, the area that was lasered is now red (almost like sunburn). It is not sore to touch, and when pressed and released very quickly turns white then red again. Its difficult to say but I think it might be fading at a VERY slow rate, but I cant be sure. Should it last this long!?

Tattoo Removal is a Process

Tattoo removal is a lengthy process and it looks like you are on the right track.  I do not see anything wrong with your photograph.  It takes a while and can look odd when it is fading out. Keep me posted. 

TATTOO MISERY or MISERABLE TATTOO?

You've made a decision to remove your tattoo and from the looks of the photograph you've submitted, you are nicely on your way to accomplishing it.  I really can't perceive any abnormal reddening or anything suggesting any sort of a problem.  I think you are going to do well and suggest that you make sure you keep the area out of the sun and use a high SPF broad spectrum sunscreen daily.  Zinc oxide or titanium dioxide would be excellent broad spectrum ingredients to seek in your product.

Sandy Martin, MD
Fort Myers Dermatologist

Redness after Tattoo Removal

Hi Wilks.  It looks like you have healed quite well.  A bit of redness or evening darkening after treatment (depends on the skin type) is normal and will fade slowly over time as the area heals.  Nothing in the picture concerns us.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD