Young women, with droopy cheeks and double chin, seeking the minimal possible surgery, no injections please! (photo)

I am 31 year old women, main problem is droopy cheeks and double chin. I tried restylane for my cheeks, it caused a lot of bruising with no significant improvement. I also had a mixture of hyaluronic acid and botox for the cheeks, again results were not apparent at all. As for my double chin, I tried injections that dissolve fat (forgot the brand name), and CACI course (electrical impulses supposed to pull the neck muscles). Unfortunately, none worked. What surgical procedures are recommended?

Young women, with droopy cheeks and double chin, seeking the minimal possible surgery, no injections please!

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front as well as this partial profile view side would help with the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount. I suspect that the cheek bones themselves are flat anteriorly (in the front) which allows the fat to fall off the cheeks.  Cheek Implants, facial liposuction and a chin implant would create a more balanced, heart shaped face.  Chin augmentation, with a chin implant is discussed below. I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

At your young age, I wouldn't recommend major. The neck can be treated with VASER/ThermiRF and/or kybella or coolsculpting. You might try laser resurfacing to increase collagen production in the rest of your face, which should resolve the droopy cheeks along with facial sculpting with fillers and skin tightening with thermage and ultherapy. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Best treatment for double chin

A full set of photographs are required since the chin and neck are both three-dimensional structures. Fatty deposits in the neck are removed with liposuction. A platysma plasty is sometimes required to give further definition to the jawline. When patients have a weak and recessive chin profile,  A chin implant is necessary. For more information many examples, see link and the video below

Improve the neck line

If, as you say, fillers and probably Kybella have not achieved the change in contour that you desire, it would be my opinion, that some form of  liposuction would be helpful in correcting the double chin and delineating the jawline from the neck. A chin implant may likewise be helpful to balance the face. I would recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your region with experience in cosmetic facial surgery. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Improve cheeks and chin

Thank you for asking about your cheeks and chin.
  • I am sorry other treatments didn't work.
  • Was Kybella the neck injection that you had?
  • Based just on the photo,a small cheek implant and neck liposuction seem best for you. 
  • A face to face examination and consultation are needed to be sure this impression is in fact correct.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Double Chin

The only way you are going to improve your double chin is with, at the least, liposuction to remove fat. Whether a modest chin augmentation would also be helpful can be determined by computer imaging.