Would having a uplift after having implants removed be better than trying again? (photos)

Ok so two weeks ago I had uplift and implants 375m in, surgery went well but week later I started to leak at the bottom of anchor scaring area. I've started with a infection a my implants are visible so they are being removed. I'm unsure if I should have implants back in once I've healed? Will I get infected again? Is this my body's way saying it doesn't want them in?

Would having a uplift after having implants removed be better than trying again?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced; your disappointment/frustration is certainly understandable.  

I think that the management of breast implant exposure situation needs to be individualized. In most cases, patients are best served by removing the breast implant involved, with the goal of breast re augmentation many months subsequently. Ultimately, timing of the re operation is best individualized depending on the clinical/microbiology findings.

Factors that I use when deciding when to return to the operating room include:  the nature of the infection present initially ( superficial versus deep, microbiology results…),  how well and/or quickly the patient's tissues "heal" after removal of breast implants,  the patient's physical examination with emphasis on softness/pliability of the patient's tissues…  Generally, if in doubt, best to undergo breast re augmentation later rather than too soon. Usually, re augmentation can be done without further complications.

Keep in mind, what I have described is based on my personal experience/opinions.  your plastic surgeon, having the benefit of knowing your history and  current situation, will always be your best resource.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Implant infection following uplift and augmentation.

I am very sorry to hear of your experience.  Such complications are quite rare but do happen.

I would allow six months of healing afte your r implants are removed at which point you can decide whether you are content with your breast size and shape or if you would like to have implants replaced. I personally believe the risk of infection at the time of a secondary procedure is quite small especially when compared to the first procedure since an uplift will not be a part of that surgery.  Be patient and allow for good healing before making a decision.  Good luck

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Removal

Once your implants are removed, you will need to wait about 3 to 6 months to let yourself heal. During this time, you can decide if you would want implants again, or be content with just the lift. Lift with augmentation, since it is a longer procedure, is more risky for infection than just an augmentation.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lift + implants - didn't heal. What next?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants and lift.

• I am so sorry you are going throught this - it is a miserable time!
  • Your surgeon should explain it but this is what to expect -
  • Remove the implants and any unhealthy tissue
  • (Probably) place a wound vac or at least drains - they will stay in a while.
  • Six months after you heal, you can have implants placed again.
  • You will be at higher risk of infection but the risk is low.
  • The implants must go under the muscle (if they weren't placed there before.)
  • Your body is not rejecting the implants - combining implants which stretch the breasts and a lift which tightens the breast can work well but this is what happens when it does not - the tissues are too tight to heal.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS