Tummy tuck - can the belly button just be moved down? (Photo)

I am thinking of having a tt and lipo but may not have enough skin so I have been told. I need to loss weight which I am going to do. I do not want to have a mini tt as I have to much fat above belly button. Been told my belly button my not go down far enough. Can the belly button just be moved down? Or what do you suggest?

Tummy tuck - can the belly button just be moved down?

Loosing weight will help tremendously to facilitate a full TT. You will need to lose at least 15lbs. Losing weight will also give you better results and you may not need lipo. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Gary Horndeski M.D. 

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - can the belly button just be moved down ?

Thank you for your question. You appear to be a great candidate for a TT. Perhaps consider a second opinion. If you are thinking of losing weight, you will want to lose the lbs and maintain that weight for 6 months. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Body Contouring : Information

Dear Ms. Julieden

Thank you for your story and photos. Unfortunately without a examination I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.

Based on your photos you are a good candidate for a abdominoplasty. Obviously you entire medical history would need be reviewed prior to surgery.

The SPECFIC type of abdominoplasty performed will be based upon:
1)your anatomy
2)your goals
3) your Plastic Surgeons experience

After pregnancy and/or weight loss several physiological events occur that can not be corrected with just diet and exercise:
1) the skin looses some of its visco/elastic properties (ability to recoil) from being stretched. With further weight loss or liposuction the skin will sag further.
2) the space between two two rectus abdomenis muscles (which run from your rib cage to the pubic bone) become larger and does not return to their pre pregnancy/weight loss position referred to as diastasis recti. This results in the abdominal bulge when the muscles are relaxed.
3) in addition a c-section scar can aggravate the appearance of the hanging skin because of the scar attachment to the underlying tissues.

Liposuction alone will reduce the the amount fat, however the skin will hang more.
Liposuction is often incorporated/included with a abdominoplasty to help contour the flank areas (love handles/hip areas).

However it is not advised to perform liposuction of the upper abdomen at the time of abdominoplasty for fear of injuring the blood vessels that supply the lower abdominal tissue. This liposuction can often be completed under local anesthesia several months after healing of the abdominal incision.

I recommend that you:
1) make a list of your questions
2) make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Tummy tuck & weight loss

I would advise you to start with the weight loss. Once you've reached a maintainable, healthy weight then schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your tummy tuck options. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

TT, skin, umbilicus position

Hi Julieden

I am not quite sure why you don't think that you have enough skin for the procedure.  I don't see why that is an issue.

One thing you might be concerned about is that the hole left after the bully button is circumscribed, may not removed. 

I  think that the you have a good chance of NOT having this problem, but nobody can guarantee.  If you wish, you may ask the doctor to "float" the umbilicus, but I am not one who advocates this.  The decision to float must be made before surgery, and once committed to float or not to float that is the way it will be.

sek

Tummy tuck?

It looks to me as though you need to lose significant weight and if not possible then proceed with liposuction. That will narrow your waist and trunk and you can deal with the loose skin after you've healed (if necessary).  I think that with fat reduction via weight loss or lipo, you'd become a good candidate for a full tummy tuck (assuming your skin is lax from pregnancy(s)).  If the skin surrounding your belly button will not reach to your pubic area during a tummy tuck, a vertical incision extending upward from the horizontal incision for 1 1/2 to 2 " would enable a dramatic improvement in your skin and tightening of your muscles to flatten your belly.
Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon to get a face-to-face consultation and a more accurate assessment of your options.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified American Bd. of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
ABC TV Extreme Makeover plastic surgeon

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Can the belly button just be moved down?

Unfortunately the BB belongs in only one place, move it down and things will look a bit off. The issue you must face is what result would you accept, and would weight loss be an attractive solution for a start. You most likely have external and internal abdominal fat. Without weight loss you will never have a truly flat contour.

A lot CAN be done, but you want whats is right for you...

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients. Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit. If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary. This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside. Most times, those muscles don’t go exactly back to where they were before. Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position. If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results. It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house.

The next question to address is what to do with your belly button. Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started). Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.

As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties. You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great. Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place. What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off? Hope this helps!

-JGH

My over the internet guess is you need a Full TT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  Once you have lost your desired weight I think you will most likely be a candidate for a full tummy tuck with additional liposuction to the back and flanks.  One area of concern is that apparent incision or scar along your right abdomen which will need to be removed in your tummy tuck to minimize wound healing issues.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.