Is it right that I've been told by a doctor that I can never get more breast implants after infection?

id undergone a lift with implants in prague and after two weeks my vertical incisions split where they met the bottom incision and became infected with both implants visable. my local hosplital removed them 4 weeks ago I was on iv antibiotics and sent home with Cipro. my infections cleared up and I'm well again. the ps who removed them said I could replace them in 3to6 months. but saw a stand in doctor for check up who said she would never replace them as my risk of infection is too high!

Replace implants

If you continue to heal well with no more complications, you might be a candidate for implants in 3-6 months from the last surgery. I would choose a board certified plastic surgeon in your area so you can have follow up visits.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

The general rule is to wait approximately 3-6 months after an infection related to breast augmentation before thinking about a replacement surgery. It would simply be up to the surgeon and the healing of your body. Please make sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon that lives close to you so that you can maintain all follow up appointments and who is available when need be. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

This is very rare

I am sorry about the infection and loss of your implants. Your current breast pictures can be helpful. Usually you can redo implants after 3-6 months if tissue has healed. The other option is fat grafting if you have enough fat to donate from other sites. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

You should be able to undergo re augmentation safely…

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced; your disappointment/frustration is certainly understandable. You will find that there are very few "absolutes" in the field of plastic surgery. In other words, practices will vary from one plastic surgeon to another.

Personally, I think that the management of breast implant exposure situation needs to be individualized. In most cases, patients are best served by removing the breast implant involved, with the goal of breast re augmentation many months subsequently. Ultimately, timing of the re operation is best individualized depending on the clinical/microbiology findings.

Factors that I use when deciding when to return to the operating room include:  the nature of the infection present initially ( superficial versus deep, microbiology results…),  how well and/or quickly the patient's tissues "heall" after removal of breast implants,  the patient's physical examination with emphasis on softness/pliability of the patient's tissues…  Generally, if in doubt, best to undergo breast re augmentation later rather than too soon.

Keep in mind, what I have described is based on my personal experience/opinions.  Your plastic surgeon, having the benefit of knowing your history and  current situation, will always be your best resource. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Breast implants and infection

Thank you for your question.  Once your infection is cleared up, you may consider breast implants again at least 6-12 months later provided you don't have any underlying condition that would increase infection risk.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS