Hi. Could you please suggest the best solution for the loose skin under my chin? (photo)

I have a bit of surplus fat underneath my chin and loose skin and also the start of jowls as well. What do you think would be the best solution to tighten up the skin? I have heard that cellulase for the face is good as it can remove fat and tighten loose skin. I don't want to waste money on treatments that might not work though. Is there a doctor who does both non invasive treatments and surgery so they can compare both treatments? Would you recommend a neck lift/quick lift or something else?

Thermage best solution for tightening of neck skin

Thank you for submitting your helpful photo. Depending on your expectations, would help decide the best procedure for you. Thermage is a definite treatment that helps improve and tighten the skin under the neck but does not give a surgical result. However, if you have expectations of a very tight neck without loose skin then a traditional face/neck lift will give you the best results. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

There are several procedures that can be done here

Thanks for your question and the photo – it is useful as it does show excess fat and sagging of the skin of the neck. There are several procedures that can be done here, including laser-assisted liposuction, ThermiRF, Ultherapy, and the newer sophisticated RF skin tightening devices to some degree. A new drug, called ATX-101, will also be available for the fat in this area – it is hopefully going to be FDA approved soon – and this will help some as well. You need to make a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn all the treatment options so you can determine which one will work best for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Non-Invasive and Surgical Treaments for Under the Chin

There are multiple non-invasive treatments for this very problem. Ulthera, Thermage, and ThermiSmooth and others are all various treatment options that I’ve seen improve the look in this area. There is another procedure that is “micro-invasive” called ThermiTight that I have seen rather impressive results with and routinely recommend to patients with moderate laxity under the chin. The ThermiTight can be combined with a little liposuction when necessary and the result is great. And of course, there is a surgical face/neck lift. The results from the surgery are the most dramatic. See a well trained physician that can examine you in person and evaluate what would be best for you.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Best options for your neck

Just from your photos you look to have some extra fat and loose skin under the neck. In my opinion, there is no non-invasive treatment that can even come remotely close to a properly performed facelift (cheek and neck lift). Look at the photos on my web site and I think you can see why I believe this.

Non-Surgical Neck Tightening

Our practice offers a minimally invasive laser neck lift, called Precision Tx.  This laser is actually manufactured by the same company that produces Cellulaze and uses similar technology.  During the Precision Tx procedure, three small incisions are made (one behind each ear and one under the chin) and a small laser is inserted.  This laser directly stimulates collagen, resulting in tightening of loose skin.  We also perform liposuction at the same time to remove excess fat.  Finally, we perform another pass of the Precision laser to further encourage skin tightening.  Our office has seen fantastic results with this procedure, and our patients appreciate the minimal downtime involved. 

Thermage can also be used to tighten the skin of the neck.  However, it will not address excess tissue or tighten as dramatically as a surgical or minimally invasive alternative.  Thermage works well as a "maintenance" procedure to prolong the results of previous procedures and delay surgery for patients wishing to avoid surgical options.

An in-person consultation will be the best option for your provider to do a thorough evaluation, discuss your expectations, and determine which procedure will best meet your expectations and lifestyle.  Thankfully, there are many great options out there and more coming down the pipeline to address this troublesome area.  Check out our office website for before and after pictures of the procedures discussed above.  Best of luck!

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

ATX 101 will be available soon

ATX 101 has been FDA cleared and will be available soon to treat the 'double chin'.

This does not address the skin laxity which needs either Ultherapy or surgical neck lifting. 

Neck Treatments for Loose Skin

Your photos are very helpful.  Thermage definitely helps improve and tighten the skin under the neck.  However, if you have an excessive amount of loose skin then a traditional face/neck lift will give you the best results. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.