What can be done to get a slimmer more symmetric nose/nose tip? (photo)

I have a bulbous nose tip and on one side I have fallen cartilage. In the image I have makeup on so it isn't shown very well. When I smile my nose becomes very wide. What is the best option to get a firmer, slimmer nose and could this be done non-surgically. Many thanks

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

What can be done to get a slimmer more symmetric nose/nose tip? And yes and

Your photo suggests that a rhinoplasty is necessary to narrow your tip and nasal base (nostrils).  If you are afraid of undergoing surgery do not seek injections or nonsurgical treatment to improve your nose since I would predict they would not be of any benefit.  If you do really want a change in the proportions of your nose I think you would be very happy with the results of a rhinoplasty procedure.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Slimmer won't work

Non-surgical procedures generally hide imperfections by adding fillers. While slight proportions can sometimes be made noses cannot be made smaller or slimmer with non-surgical procedures.

Surgical rhinoplasty too narrow a wide nose

A surgical rhinoplasty is required to narrow a wide nose. To narrow the wide tip requires suture techniques and conservative cartilage removal. To narrow the bridge line requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. To narrow wide nostrils  requires an alar-plasty. For more information and  many examples of narrowing a wide nose with closed rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below