Would Sculptra work on me?

I am 56 years old and have only just given up smoking. Would sculptra work on me? I have spoken to a local nurse and she said she's not sure and if I decided to go ahead it would take at least nine vials. Would it be worth trying or am I wasting my money?

Sculptra in a 56 year-old former smoker

I am not certain why this RN told you you would need 9(!) vials to get an effect.  You are of an ideal age to have this treatment, and you are no longer smoking, so, albeit without seeing you in person, I do not see a reason why you would not have a good result.

Sculptra is technically difficult to perform and there are potentially serious side effects which are much more likely in nonexperienced hands. Please, please consult with an advanced injector who is a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon before proceding. Hesitancy of this type might reflect lack of confidence in one's skills.

Sculptra

Sculptra would be a great volumizer for you.  I don't know that you would need 9 vials.  That would depend on your physical exam and how you respond to the first couple vials.  Also, congrats on quiting smoking.  I think this would not only help you with how you respond to Sculptra but would also help you slow the aging process.

Sculptra for 56 year old former smoker

Sculptra® is great for long-term correction of the nasolabial folds (parentheses) and lifting/volumizing the cheeks and temples. If you need these areas treated, please see a board-certified Aesthetic Dermatologist for a full evaluation and treatment plan customized to your specific needs.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Sculptra in smokers

Sculptra is an excellent filler. In most cases, we begin with a conservative dose and work our way up if the results are positive. Good job on your smoking cessation :)

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sculptra is great for facial volume loss

Without a photo showing your concerns, it is difficult to determine what product or what procedure would be best for you. Please do not rely on what your nurse friend has told you – since Sculptra has come to the United States, I do not think I have ever used this much Sculptra on any of my patients, even those with exceptional facial volume loss. So if you have facial volume loss, consult a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and learn the different treatment options for volume loss – Sculptra, Radiesse, Voluma, and Perlane – all work, all have indications, and all require the skill to make sure that they are done properly.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Possible candidate for Sculptra

Great question, tough to say without seeing a photo of you. It sounds as if you have a loss of volume in the cheeks and around the mouth. Sculptra is a great facial filler for those exact areas helping to stimulate natural collagen that will last more than two years.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Sculptra for a 56 year old former smoker

It is difficult to say without seeing you what you would need.  Good for you for quitting smoking that is the first step in looking better and being healthier.  It is important to see an expert injector who is board certified and has a lot of experience injecting Sculptra.  There shouldn't be any reason why Sculptra wouldn't work for you.  I do think however, you may want to look into some surgical treatments as well to see what other options there are for you.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Sculptra in a 56 year old female smoker

Every face is different and without seeing you in person and how you will react it is difficult to determine how many vials of Sculptra you will need.  Sculptra is a technically demanding injectable and you should ensure the injector has experience and expertise in the product prior to any treatments.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

9 vials of Sculptra or surgery

It's not possible to agree with the RN's estimate without seeing you in person or some photos, but if you truly need that many vials because of the aging process, you should be fully informed about surgical options as well -- surgery may be the more economical route to take.  I'm glad you gave up smoking as this ages you tremendously!  You'll heal much better following surgery or get better results from the Sculptra.  Visit with someone who can give you all the options with pro/ cons.  Someone who just does injections will likely only lead you down that path.  I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking impedes collagen production

Good for you that you've given up smoking. That's a huge step in the right direction toward a healthier life and also toward not making yourself look older. (Smoking is incredibly aging.)

Collagen production is altered in smokers and there are studies behind that claim. The "wound healing" response is impaired in smokers and you'll seldom find a plastic surgeon who doesn't require a patient to stop smoking before having surgery.

It's impossible to agree or disagree with the RN you spoke with without actually seeing you in person. Volume deficiencies vary wildly with each individual. The amount of volume loss, your overall health, lifestyle - many factors play into how much Sculptra and other fillers you would require to reach a point of satisfaction.

From the nurse's estimate, I'm assuming you have some pretty substantial needs and they would truly be best attended to by a highly experienced injector. Take the time to visit several board certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons in your area and ask to see their patient photos. The Sculptra website has a physician locator and their various levels of training.

If you've been smoking most of your adult life, it will take some time to get your body back to it's most healthy potential.

All that taken into consideration, Sculptra remains a magic bullet for many when delivered by appropriately skilled physicians.