Scabs on augmentation incisions normal? 4 weeks post op

Nearing 4 weeks post op with 390cc high profile silicone submuscular placement. I am concerned about scars because of the scab like appearance? Dissolvable stitches. Told to do scar massages after 3 weeks but reluctant to because of the way they look! No pain, heat etc, redness and flaking is from antiseptic spray. Though I caught a cold a week after then had a stomach bug this week. I've not been sick in such quick succession before and hope it's coincidental? No other complaints than the scabs

Normal healing

These scabs do not look to be anything concerning.  I would say that the recovery is progressing normally.

4 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its too early to talk about results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Incisions at 3-4 weeks

Some crusting over the incisions is normal at 3-4 weeks. Your incisions look pretty normal at this point. If you have concerns, then see your surgeon.

Scabs on augmentation incisions normal?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  Your incisions look appropriate for three weeks after surgery and I would take your surgeon's advice of moisturizing and performing scar massage to improve their appearance.  The moisturizer will speed healing while the scar massage will help flatten and smooth the subtle bumps present.  I am attaching a link below that may have additional information you find useful to improve scarring. Hope this helps.

Post op healing

The slight amount of skin flaking and scabbing in your photos looks normal to me.  Your plastic surgeon can tell you how to moisturize your skin and help the scabbing to come off.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Your incisions and healing are appropriate for the time. Please follow instructions from your PS

Appears Normal

Your scars appear to be within the expected range of appearance at this interval after your surgery.  There are some irregularities along the scar but these should smooth out as the scar matures. 

Surgeons vary in recommendations regarding scar management but massage has been a common and longstanding recommendation for scar management for decades.  Additional common recommendations include use of moisturizers such as coco butter, vitamin E oil and etc.. 

I recommend a combination of Scar Recovery Gel (Skinmedica) and silicone gel sheeting starting at three weeks post op for our patients. 

Please check in with your surgeon to see if they have any further recommendations.