Is rhinoplasty worth it?

I have been wanting to get this bump removed from my nose bridge for a very long time as i hate my profile and although my nose doesn't droop it does slightly when i smile which i hate. My question is, is rhinoplasty REALLY worth it? Will my nose change over the next few years after the surgery and what if i hate it? I've heard horror stories about the tip drooping after rhinoplasty so essentially i could end up with a worse nose than i have now? I'd really appreciate some help! Thank you.

Is Rhinoplasty Worth It?

If you look at surveys of people who have had rhinoplasty most are satisfied. If you select an experienced rhinoplasty specialist complications are minimized and are usually minor. Select a surgeon who shows you multiple examples of excellent natural results in patients who had noses like yours.

It is definitely worth it

Rhinoplasty is absolutely a very worthwhile operation. However it is also very surgeon dependent. Thus the key is to find a good surgeon for your rhinoplasty.   

Vasdev Rai, MD

Is rhinoplasty worth it?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would worthwhile. Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else.
I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). 

You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. If you are still ambivalent about undergoing the procedure after having plastic surgery consultations, I would suggest that you not have the procedure until you are sure that you want to do it.
Robert Singer, M.D., FACS 
La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty worth it?

Only the patient can and answer the question as to whether not a rhinoplasty is worth it for them. A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, and releasing the depressor septi ligament, which pulls the tip down when smiling. Choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience with the procedure. For many rhinoplasty before-and-after results, please see the link and the video below 

Rhinoplasty

Hello amp98, 
Thank you for your question.  The short answer is that surgical rhinkoplasty can be a very effective long lasting solution to the issues you raise with your nose.  Supporting the nasal tip is crucial to maintaining long lasting results.  I would seek care from a board certified facial plastic surgeon to evaluate you and help guide you to the best option for you.
Best of Luck, 
DrS

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty patient satisfaction

In general, I would say that patient satisfaction after rhinoplasty is fairly high. If you look here on RealSelf, you will see that about 89% of patients say that it is worth it. You are correct that there are patients who are unhappy and can have unsatisfactory outcomes after rhinoplasty. That can occur for a variety of reasons including unrealistic patient expectations, unclear goals, and unfortunately in some cases surgical complications or surgeon technique. Rhinoplasty is a complex surgery so it is important that you find an experienced surgeon who you are comfortable with and who will take the time to discuss your concerns and review the procedure with you in detail. Good luck!

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon