What recovery time would I need after full facelift I'm a health care assistant?

Facelift Recovery

Recovery from a facelift is largely more appearance related than physical. The first week is a bit physical but it will take up to three weeks until you feel comfortable enough with your appearance in public. If you are less concerned about how you look, you may be able to return to work in two weeks after the procedure.

Facelift: Recovery time

Most of my patients are back at work after 1-2 weeks off, although healing times vary. A “full facelift” typically means, browlift, midface lift, and lower facelift. Some people will often have their eyes done at the same time. A surgeon may perform different types of techniques in their “facelift” procedure, so this timeline may not be accurate for the surgeon you plan to see. Ask to see photos of his/her patients during their healing. This will give you the most realistic expectations.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plan for at Least 2 Weeks

How much time you'll need to stay home after facelift surgery depends on a few factors, including the extent of your surgery and your own personal preferences. You'll likely feel better than you look after the initial healing period is completed. This is because bruising and swelling can still be present for a few weeks, even after you feel physically ready to get back to work and other obligations. In general, I recommend that my patients expect to spend about 2 weeks at home, although you may need a bit longer. Best of luck with your surgery.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

3 Weeks Minimum Before Returning to Work

A “full facelift” can be defined differently by different surgeons. Typically, a facelift addresses the sagging jowls and neck -- the lower third of the face. When these areas are targeted, the recovery time is usually 10 days to 2 weeks before you can get back to your usual activities. You still may have minimal swelling and bruising but they can usually be covered with makeup. If you have a “midface” lift, as well, then the swelling and bruising can last longer, leading to a longer recovery period. If you are a healthcare assistant, your duties are probably more physical than sedentary, and I would suggest waiting at least 3 weeks before attending to your usual work activities, including heavy lifting. Good luck to you as you consider undergoing this procedure.

What is the recovery for a facelift?

Thank you for your question.  Typically I tell my patients to expect to 'lay low' due to mild bruising and swelling for about 2-1/2 weeks.  This will vary.  About 5% will be ready by 10 days, and 5% will take over 3 weeks.  So, about 90% of folks are good to go 2-1/2 weeks later. With regards to physical recovery, other than some tightness of the neck, most patients feel pretty good after that first week.  I ask my patients to avoid heavy exercise or lifting for 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Most

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

After 14 days, patients should see some improvement in their appearance.

Generally, patients who have a facelift done at my practice are able to go out in public and resume most of their daily activities after 7 to 14 days. The majority of swelling and bruising should have resolved after a week, but there will still be some swelling and possibly asymmetry as well as small lumps and bumps, and there may still be some light bruising. It’s possible to resume work at this time, but many patients may want to wait for their appearance to improve further. After 14 days, patients should see some improvement in their appearance and should be able to go out in public looking normal with the help of some makeup.

Recovery Time Varies, But Plan for 2 Weeks

Thanks for your question. I understand how important it is to plan for your return to work after a facelift. While your age and medical history will play a role in your individual recovery time, 2 weeks is a safe bet for most patients. If your work as a healthcare assistant is strenuous and includes heavy lifting, you may need an additional week. During that time, it's best to rest as much as possible and refrain from any strenuous activity, because you will be dealing with some swelling and bruising. You'll also likely have your sutures removed within the first 2 weeks.

That said, be sure to talk about your need to return to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon. He or she will help you determine more concrete plans as you move toward having your procedure done.

Face lift recovery

With some make-up, your hair worn down, a neck scarf, and thick-rimmed sunglasses, you should be able to go out in public within a few days with minimal attention drawn to yourself. Most patients take 2 weeks off from work after a rhytidectomy and are able to resume their exercise regimen within 3-4 weeks.

As a rule, 80% of swelling is gone in 2 weeks, and 90% of swelling is generally gone by 2 months. So, do not evaluate the results of your surgery too soon. While you will look younger right away, face lifts continue to show subtle refinement for a significant period of time.

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time

Hello and thank you for your question.  In my practice, most patients return to work 10-14 days after surgery.  Since you are a health care assistant, I would usually recommend that you refrain from heavy lifting (more than 10 lbs) for about 6 weeks depending on how you are healing.  Make sure that you discuss recovery time with your surgeon as he/she will have the answers best suited to you and how you are healing.  Best of luck!

John Ward, MD (retired)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

RECOVERY TIME FOLLOWING FACELIFT

Recovery times vary among individuals based on medical health, procedures performed, and other factors.  Our experience with several thousand facelifting procedures reveals that most patients can return to their jobs and obligations by about 2 weeks. 

While 2 weeks is not when the final result will emerge, it is a helpful time period to take time off, etc.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon