Am I ready for implantation? (photo)

Ist has been bigger and fuller since removal, initially it was thought I had a small seroma but advised my body would absorb this ove had a breast lift with implants in june. 4 weeks later I had both implants removed due to infection. I was told to wait 6 months before re implanting and plan to go back in January. both breasts are soft and painless now and the scars are heeled and softening more and more. will I be ready? also my left brear time. cud this re infect me if it is just seroma?

Implant

Your doctor, who can examine you, will be the best one to tell you when you can implants. However, usually after waiting 6 months, the tissue is settled and ready for a second procedure.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Am I ready for implantation (after implant removal/infection)?

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced.  You will find that there are very few "absolutes" in the field of plastic surgery. In other words, practices will vary from one plastic surgeon to another.

Factors that I use when deciding when to return to the operating room include:  the nature of the infection present initially ( superficial versus deep, microbiology results…),  how well and/or quickly the patient's tissues "heal" after removal of breast implants,  the patient's physical examination with emphasis on softness/pliability of the patient's tissues…  Generally, if in doubt, best to undergo breast re augmentation later rather than too soon.

I would suggest that you not re augment the breasts if there is a fluid accumulation there; best to have this treated first.  Doing so will help minimize risk of further complications.

Keep in mind, what I have described is based on my personal experience/opinions.  Your plastic surgeon, having the benefit of knowing your history and  current situation, will always be your best resource.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Ready for new implants?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• I am so sorry you lost your breast implants because of infection.
  • A sterile seroma will not infect you - 
  • But if there is fluid in the surgical area, it needs to be at least cultured to be sure there are no bacteria.
  • Ask your surgeon to do an ultrasound study to look for any internal fluid.
  • If the breasts are soft now, January sounds a good time to have new implants.
  • After one infection, you are at a higher risk of infection the second time.
  • I tell my patients to keep all pets out of their bedrooms, not to feed or groom any pet for two weeks after surgery, not to go back to work for 2 full weeks and do not exercise except gentle walking for 3 weeks at least.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS