Have i got ptosis? I've recently noticed my left eyelid has drooped slightly. It's really getting me down.

Doctor Answers 5

You have mild ptosis

The pictures show that left eyelid is lower and the fold is different. Please see your local board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and possible treatment. I would recommend to do repair both side.  

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

This is best assessed by an ophthalmologist who is fellowship trained in oculofacial surgery.

There is more than one approach to repairing ptosis.  For this reason you need a careful assessment of your eyelids to determine the best surgical approach to address your concerns.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


It appears your diagnosis is correct, but a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon will confirm the diagnosis and provide you with information on how it may be repaired. Be sure to prepare your questions when you have your consultation. A skin incision in the lid crease is the best approach for optimal symmetry and contour. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews


Ptosis or specifically blepharoptosis is drooping of the eyelid. It can affect one or both eyes. It can affect both eyes by different amounts. 

It's tough to judge from photos taken so far away from your eyes. To diagnose ptosis, you need to be examined by an eye doctor who will measure the lid position relative to other landmarks and light reflexes. There are a number of different causes for eyelid ptosis. Some are treated with medication, but the majority of the causes are treated with surgery. Blepharoplasty (changes the shape of the eyelid) and ptosis repair (addresses the weakness creating droop) are considered two separate techniques that can be performed at the same time. I would recommend consulting with an eyelid specialist or oculoplastic surgeon as they can both diagnose and treat ptosis. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Treatment for droopy eyelid

Thank you for sharing your question. You have ptosis (weakened muscle) of the eyelid. There are several techniques which an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon can use to correct the problem. Make an appointment for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of proper treatment.  Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 144 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.