Will I get poor BBL scarring if I am prone to hypertrophy/keloid scaring?

I have scars on my lower legs and have healed very nice (silver flat unnoticeable) however I had umbilical hernia repair and have a very raised red scar (straight along the incision line) and suffered a keloid on shoulder, I haven't ever seen any poor scaring from BBL however I am worried, can you tell me how likely this is from (fat argumentation BBL) And the scaring risks from implants and fat transfer as I understand this is a larger incision, thank you SO much!

Scars post BBL

Hello and thank you for your question.

You should be fine.  A BBL does not require any large incision that will be prone to keloiding if you are known to have this problem.  You will have small puncture like incisions the size of mosquito bites where fat is removed via lipo, and where the at the site the fat is reintroduced.

The key is to find a board certified plastic surgeon that is an expert dealing with patients prone to keloid or hypertrophic scars.

Dr. Obeng
beverly Hills, CA 

Will I get poor BBL scarring if I am prone to hypertrophy/keloid scaring

Thank you for your question. It is uncommon, but hypertrophic scars can come from small liposuction incisions. Scars will remodel for up to two years.  See your surgeon when you first notice the scar thickening. Steroid injections can be used to treat scars that are starting to form keloids.  Silicone creams and tape can help prevent and minimize scaring.  

Scarring Post BBL

Thanks for your question.The Brazilian Butt Lift does not usually require scarring.The only scarring is actually from the liposuction that is used in order to harvest the fat for the transfer.A consultation with a Board Certified Plastic is the best way to know which course of action is best suited for you.Best of luck.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

#keloids, #BBL. no body. Can tell you for sure

Keloids can occur in patients even with a small injury, for example ears piercings which is only a 1mm hole, to harvest your fat your surgeon will make at least 4 mm wounds. Different areas of the body heal differently, hence you developing a keloid in one place and nice scars in the other.
An ABPS certified surgeon should be able to provide the best possible care for your wounds, however no body can tell you for sure that you will no get keloids, if somebody tells you categorically  for you not to worry, my advise is for you to see a different surgeon.
the bigger the wound,and the most tension the wound, as well as a history of keloids, the more chances you can have another keloid.
Remember, the most important factor in obtaining a good result from your cosmetic surgery is the surgeon you elect to perform it.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon