If I get a open Rhinoplasty, would there be any visible scars? Or would it look as if i have had a Rhinoplasty done?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 8
Techniques to hide the scar in open rhinoplasty
1. Site selection: midpoint of the columella is harder to see than incisions closer to the tip or base of the nose.
2. Incision design: an inverted V incision creates a broken line, but symmetric scar that is does not stick out like a straight line.
3. Tension-free closure: the skin edges need to meet without any pulling forces, so the scar does not widen.
4. Suture selection: Using a very small suture will improve the appearance.
5. Suture technique: the skin edges look better with an everting technique, to create a flat scar.
6. Time: meticulous closure takes added time. A rushed closure is likely to be more visible.
I recommend that you ask to see examples of rhinoplasty scars and bring this list to your consultation. A visible incision can be a tell-tale sign of an open rhinoplasty, so I believe it's worth the extra effort and time to closing it carefully.
Open rhinoplasty with visible incisions
You might also like...
Open Rhinoplasty and Visible Scarring
With an open Rhinoplasty approach, the incision is made across the columella. This area tends to heal very well and leaves virtually no telling signs you have had an open Rhinoplasty.
A closed Rhinoplasty does not have any outside visible incisions.
I am a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon and have performed thousands of Rhinoplasties both open and closed over the past 30 years.
Best of Luck!!
Open Rhinoplasty, would there be any visible scars?
Hope this helps.
Open rhinoplasty incisions
Visible scars after an open rhinoplasty
Scars from open rhinoplasty
The things that can make you "look as if you've had a rhinoplasty done" have more to do with what is done with the underlying framework. When you're considering a rhinoplasty and you want a more natural look, be sure to check out your surgeon's before and after photos to get an idea of the work that they do. Good luck!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.