Should my nose look really wide after my rhinoplasty?

8 days ago I had open rhinoplasty to remove my hump. It was done by a reputable surgeon, but when my cast came off today, my nose looks REALLY wide at the top. My nose used to be really slim. My surgeon said that he had fractured the bones and moved them closer, but it looks to me like they've gone further apart. The sides of the nose are also uneven. Is this all just swelling? Will my nose really still change that much? It seems like alot more compared to the pictures and videos I've seen online??

Likely swelling

At this early stage it is likely swelling and the radix ( upper bridge between the eyes ) and the tip swell the most and take the longest to settle making them look quite wide - however if you have had a large height reduction it is possible you cannot avoid looking a little wider than before but not as wide as you are now of course

Recovering from rhinoplasty: evaluating your result

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. A major part of that process is waiting for the swelling to go down. In the first 6-8 weeks, the majority of swelling with go down. Over the next 6-9 months, the nose with gradually get smaller; however there will be episodes of swelling along the way. Around one year your nose is close to the final result. It will continue to refine by small amounts over the next few years. As your healing nose can only shrink, I tell my patients that there noses will start slightly wide to shrink down to a normal result. If you start at a narrow width, it can only become pinched. 

At 8 days, it's early to evaluate the nose. Keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can keep you on track for a good result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD