Is this normal? (photo)

I have this odd looking bit between my vagina and anus and I'm wondering if it is normal. It's doesn't cause any pain but I'm just unsure if it is worth seeing the doctor about? Thank you

Excess Skin

Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. The piece of skin you present in your photo may not need any surgery if it does not cause any sort of irritation or discomfort. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

Loose skin at the perineum is normal

You have loose skin at the perineum. This is normal. Some women have tight skin there, others have dark skin, and individual variation is the norm here. No deal here.

Normal

Hello,that's redundant skin some person have other non but normal is more common after childbirth, age and can also be congenital hereditary most important thing is that can be corrected with a perineorafia and give it a prettier look thanks for your question.

Miriam Luciano, MD
Dominican Republic OB/GYN

It's Normal

Thanks for the question - this is simply some additional tissue that extends around the vaginal opening posteriorly (near the anus) and is nothing to worry about.  Sometimes it is hyperpigmented, just the same as the outer edge of the labia minora.  If you do not like its appearance, it can be surgically removed, but certainly, does not have to be.

Extra skin posterior fourchette and on perineum ("medial raphe"). What to do??

Thanks for the good quality photo. Many women have "extra skin" at the base of their labia (area of "posterior commisure" or "posterior fourchette") or in the midline between their vaginal opening/vulvar vestibule and their anus (sometimes aka the "medial raphe.")  Not abnormal, but if it bugs you a qualified genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon (plastic or gyn surgeon) can safely and asethetically excise.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

May be normal!

You appear to be a bit chafed in the vaginal-perineal-anal region (thongs?) and this chafing can irritate the median raphe--the central heaped-up tissues in the midline of the perineal area. Some women have prominent tissues there, others not so much.
If you can reduce/eliminate any yeast or mechanical friction there you may see a decrease in the size and prominence of your skin.
As always, if this does not resolve shortly please see your gyn.

William E. Shuell, MD
Phoenix OB/GYN

Normal?

There's a lot of variation to "normal". From your photo, it could be normal, but we cannot assess the texture or thickness of this. Best to check with your doctor and get it examined.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Extra swelling normal?

It is hard to say from your single photo but it doesn't look normal. That being said, there is a lot of skin variation in the genital region--a better photo would help. Have you asked your OBGYN?