I'm 5 and half weeks post op. Very slim. 315cc under muscle via nipple incisions. Silicone. (photo)

Please do these look normal. I think they look different shapes or is this normal at this stage. The left one still has dull aches.....not pain but more achy. I had some asymmetry to start with so I do understand the results will also show that

Healing appropriately

It appears that you are healing appropriately so far.  You will have changes occurring for several more weeks as the shape softens and the swelling subsides.  Continue with your scheduled follow up appointments.  It looks like you're on the right track!

Early breast result

Thanks for your inquiry, you seem to have a nice early result.  I do see the asymmetry but I do not know how much of it is due to the existing differences in your breast.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and good luck.  

5.5 weeks asymmetry

You're right on target to understand that asymmetry that you have before will often be evident after.  Where we start from often dictates where we can end up.  Even at 5.5 weeks its early in the healing process.  Typically I would wait a full 4-6 months at minimum to assess if an asymmetry needs to be addressed.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns.  They may recommend massage activities or simply just patience.  Most minor asymmetries following surgery can be attributed to swelling or which dominant hand a patient uses.  Give it some time.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - is my result normal?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I see nothing at all abnormal in your photo -for this stage of your healing.
  • The asymmetry is minor.
  • Aching is common for several months as the muscles adjust to the implants.
  • So nothing to worry about that I can see!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Patience!

Good morning!Congrats on your augmentation- I am sure you will love the final result.It can take months to see the final result after an augmentation- especially with smaller women getting larger implants such as it appears to be the case with you.  I would continue your postoperative regimen as outlined by your MD and keep in contact with their office to voice any concerns.All womens breast have some asymmetry- some more than others.  We like to say that your breasts are sisters- not twins.  Some of the asymmetry can be corrected with augmentation surgery- some cannot.  I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

I'm 5.5 weeks post op. Very slim. 315cc under muscle via nipple incisions.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I think you have a nice early result but still have a ways to go before reaching your long-term outcome.  Without before photographs to compare to, it appears that you will still have some implant volume redistribution take place, as well as relaxation of your breast skin and tissues to leave you with a natural result.  I know waiting is difficult, but allow yourself six months from surgery to assess your results.  Hope this helps

Breast augmentation: Your breasts look normal at this stage

Yes, your breasts look normal at this stage. They don't even begin to settle until about the 6th week. You will be about 75% settled and shaped by about the 3rd month and close to fully shaped between 9 and 12 months. Be patient. Also, it is normal for everyone to have one side that's more tender than the other, off and on, less and less for the year. It is good that you have a realistic appreciation of the fact that your breasts will be slightly different because of your starting assymetry. Most women have "sisters" not "twins," but in clothes they should definitely be sisters from the same family. Hope you are more reassured. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Post op breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  51/2 weeks is still early in the recovery period. It can take 4-6 months to get your final result. The aching you feel is still normal.   Be patient and express your concerns to your surgeon.  Best wishes. 

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation results

Thank you for your question and providing a photograph.  Your early results appear as to be expected.  I know this response is typical, but your end result and overall healing (softening of implants, settling of implants, overall shape) will take 3-6 months.  It is not uncommon to see some asymmetry early on.  Each side can respond differently despite similar procedure being performed.  You did mention your pre-op shape and size to be slightly different.  This can contribute to some of the mild asymmetries you are seeing at this time.  Stay optimistic.
Best of luck
Dr. Mooty

R. Clark Mooty, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

6 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Its too early to talk about final results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. I recommend you to talk with your plastic surgeon and follow his advices.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD