Losing transplanted hair coming up to 3 months post surgery

I had a hair transplant coming up to 3 months ago and whilst I have had a little growth every time I wash the transplanted area I see hair in my hands not a lot but enough to worry me,just want to know if this is natural phase after a hair transplant

Losing hair after hair transplant

You have developed shock loss, something that could have been treated prior to it happening with the drug finasteride. See video below

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results. If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.  It is normal to shed the original transplanted hairs before new hairs grow.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss after a hair transplant

It is normal to loose about 100 hairs a day based on everything we've been taught.  I've had patients who counted every hair that fell out over time and sure enough it was about 100 per day.  Those hairs are resting, telogen, hairs that are moving back into the growing, anagen, phase.  The new hairs push the old ones out and replace them with active growing hair.  Take a look at precisely how many you are loosing.  Hair loss tends to go in phases where your hair loss is stable for a period of time including years and then suddenly, you loose a whole bunch of hair.  A few hairs a day is really nothing to worry about.  If it accelerates, you are going to have progressive hair loss.  Transplants don't protect you from future hair loss.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss after transplant

It is normal to lose about 100 hairs a day — whether you have had a hair transplant or not. This is almost certainly what you are seeing, especially since there is usually very minimal growth of transplanted hair before three months. That said, it would be more appropriate to see your surgeon for reassurance. 

I hope this has been helpful –
Dr. Ballo

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon