Which lasts longest: fat transfer to face or Juvederm Voluma?

Specifically to treat under eye hollows and for cheekbone enhancement with subtle lifting for early signs of facial sagging. Which in your opinion gives the best, safest, most natural, longest lasting results? Fat grafting/transfer or voluma? Thank you.

The manufacturer of Juvederm Voluma claims it lasts "up to" two years. Most patients will probably get about a year of noticeable results. Voluma's dense which make it useful in some situations but there is a high risk of lumps if used in areas where the skin is thin. Properly performed fat transfer can be used anywhere on the face and body. What's there at three months should be there for decades.

Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

After 6-12 weeks if the fat is there, it stays forever in my experience unless you have extreme weight loss -- then you can lose fat everywhere. I love results of fat grafting when its done well.  I suggest someone who uses water assisted harvesting without centrifugation and with adding PRP. Voluma lasts approximately two years. Please see an expert for evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Duration of Fat Grafts and Voluma

If facial augmentation is appropriate for you fat grafts typically last longer than Voluma. Having said that, I don't know which approach would be better for you.

Fat grafting vs Voluma

Fat grafting involves taking fat from one area of your body and placing it in another area, in this case your face. Not all of the fat grafted remains (some of it gets reabsorbed by the body), but the fat cells that survive the trip are permanent. So fat grafting is the longest lasting facial filler a person can have. Voluma is temporary. It is a synthetic filler and according to the manufacturer is intended to last up to 2 years. I think many patients find it doesn't last that long but it is still an excellent option as a temporary filler. The nice thing about Voluma is if for whatever reason you don't like the look it gives you, it will go away. If you do like it, you can have it again, or consider a more permanent filler such as your own fat. Both procedures have their own risks, but overall they are safe to perform. Hope that helps and good luck!

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Choosing between fat grafting and filler

There is no question that fat grafting will last longer than almost any filler, including Voluma.  That being said, there are several other things to consider when deciding which is best for you.  I think, when done well, both can give a very natural and smooth result.  Fat grafting does take a bit more time, and perhaps, some anesthesia.  Additionally it should be used with caution in younger patients because fluctuation in body fat levels (which can happen with pregnancy, slowing metabolism, decreased exercise, etc) will lead to an unnatural look.  Fillers can give also give great results, but as you likely know, last only for 1-2 years depending on the type. In general for early aging signs in younger patients I would recommend fillers, as they are temporary, reversible, and can be adjusted in future treatments as you age.  For older patients, fat grafting can be a great, permanent procedure to help treat aging-related changes.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

I've done fat grafting for 25 years. Fat under the eyes sometimes looks great, but when it doesn't it is very difficult to remove. I do fat in the locations you mentioned with facelifts, Otherwise I think injectable fillers have advantages of safety. BTW restylane around the eye  lasts 2 to 4 years.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon