What laser is best for me? (Photo)

I have tattoos on my upper left arm that are all in black, grey, with dot work. One part is 2 years old and the other part 2 days old! I know I need to leave it a few months for the new one to settle down before getting removed. What I want to know is what laser is best for me qswitch or Picasso? What results can I expect? Ideally I want them gone but would settle for extreme ghosting.

Lutronic can fade your tattoo

Although your tattoo is quite detailed and will take time with each laser treatment, it has ink colors that do fade well with each Lutronic laser. You will want to engage your tattoo removal services from a seasoned professional. Ask if numbing cream can be applied before treatment begins and if a zimmer is available during treatment to help with pain management. Good luck!

Tattoo Removal

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 1064 wavelength ideal for black pigment making it possible to remove approximately 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. It is important to seek an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. Best wishes. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Which laser is best for tattoo removal?

Hello, thank you for your questions and for including a photo.  The latest technology in laser tattoo removal is the pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink.  This technology can usually remove a tattoo in about half as many treatments as the Q-switch devices.  The 1064 wavelength is best to treat black tattoos. You can check in your area by clicking on the link attached and putting in your zip code under "locate a provider".

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo removal questions

Since these are all a variation of black, they are easier than most tattoos. A pico laser will get faster results. It needs to be one that has a 1064 wavelength. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD