Is IPL for me? (Photo)

I'm in my early 20's and have dark under eyes. They're are more blue/purple and slightly puffy. I don't know what to do. I hide it with my concealer but it gets me really down. It's starting to really affect my self esteem now.

Questions about lower eyelid treatment

Dark circles and puffiness of the lower eyelid are quite common and can be frustrating.  Their can be many contributing factors such as skin or eye sensitivities, skin irritation, pigment deposits, sun damage and aging.  IPL or 'Intense Pulsed Light' can help reduce visible smaller blood vessels or rosacea and some superficial pigmentation in the skin surface. 'Darkness' in the lids can also be the result of chronic inflammation and pigment deposits as well as excessive sun exposure and stress.  There are many options for effective treatment but a full examination with an experienced and qualified physician familiar with medical skin care is essential to provide an accurate diagnosis and specific treatment plan.

IPL Candidate?

An in person consultation would allow an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand if the issue is pigment (which ipl may address) or loss of volume (which may be addressed with dermal filler or fat transfer). 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Treatments for dark circles under the eyes

Thank you for your question naomijordan8. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. For dark circles under the eyes, other options exist. For my patients I recommend fillers such as Restylane, a good eye cream, and fractional CO2 lasers. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Dark circles can be treated with lasers / IPL, fillers, microneedling/PRP and skin care. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Treatment Options for Undereye Darkness

Dark circles or dullness under the eyes is a very common complaint. In my practice, it is usually due to volume loss in the underlying structures (such as fat or bone) and not from excessive pigment in the skin itself. The age when this starts to affect people varies- I see some patients in their early 20s for this concern. Filler is a great first option. Fat transplantation into the undereye area is a longer-lasting solution. Consult with an expert (dermatologist, plastic surgeon) who can provide you with more details.

Elizabeth Damstetter, MD
Chicago Dermatologist