Implants too small - is there anything I can do?

I went for a 520tsf gummy bears from a 34B I am now a 34C/D. When discussing with my surgeon I told him I wanted big boobs he originally suggested 360cc and then I got him up to 520. However they are nearly an average size nothing to what I wanted is there anything I can do ?

Choosing the right size implants

Thank you for your question. Once your implants are in place, unfortunately there is not anything you can do to make them larger, aside from having them removed and replaced with a larger size. However, I would recommend waiting before making that decision, as it is possible that your body is still healing and that your implants are still settling into place. Once your breasts are fully healed and the implants have completely settled into place, if you are still unhappy with your results, then it may be a good time to speak to your surgeon about your options for moving to a larger size. I have found 3D imaging to be a valuable tool when discussing size and shape expectations, as using this technology allows you to see your potential results on your own body and helps to make sure that we are on the same page for your desired goals.

Nick Slenkovich, MD, FACS

Implants to small ...

A 520 cc implant is definitely considered a large implant. Cup size can be very subjective and so communicating with a plastic surgeon based on cup size may not be the best way. First, I would give it a couple months before truly deciding your are too small. If you are still dissatisfied you can can discuss larger implants, but know that larger implants have their own set of issues. They typically will need to be revised sooner as the increased weight will impact the soft tissue that covers them. They can also distort the shape of the breast and the location of the breast fold and nipple. Upsizing is possible but you need to understand the downsides as well.

Still too early

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry that you are having remorse about your surgery. Given your B cup size, the 520CC implant is a very big jump and so there's no way you are "average" size. I'm sure that your surgeon was concerned about putting in too much volume and ending up with an implant that didn't fit your chest. This scenario leads to implant malposition and asymmetry necessitating revision surgery. Give things time to settle out and I bet you will be very happy with your new look.

M. Scott Haydon, MD

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery.  If you are early phase out of breast augmentation surgery, it is quite likely that you are experiencing significant “emotional ups and downs” unnecessarily. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at the early stages of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.
In other words, it may be too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed; your breasts will undoubtedly change over the course of the next several weeks/months.
For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger.
Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change. Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled.
If, in the long term, you remain displeased with the breast size, it is very likely that your plastic surgeon will be able to increase breast size further. Much of course will depend on your physical examination (and goals) at that point…