I am having Sclerotherapy surgery on both legs. My legs and veins are very painful at the moment.

As a police officer how long would the Recommended time be off from work.

Time Off Following Sclerotherapy

Sclerotherapy is not surgery.  It consists of injecting a solution into the protruding vein to collapse the vein.  It does not warrant time off from work.  Although for those patients with painful veins, when treated at my office, I treat the patient at the day's end so the patient can return home after sclerotherapy with compression stockings on.  Prior to any sclerotherapy, sonography is performed to ensure that the cause of the spider veins is not due to a more advanced problem.

New York Vascular Surgeon

Varicose Veins, Sclerotherapy, Compression, Little Down Time

Sclerotherapy shouldn't interfere with your work schedule. You can wear compression stockings. Avoid heavy lifting. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

If you are only having sclerotherapy typically you do not need to be off from work.  The only restrictions I give patients are:  no heavy lifting more than 25 pounds and no running or high impact aerobics for 3-5 days after.  I also recommend wearing compression stockings for a few days afterwards.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

There is no need to be off from work following sclerotherapy.  My patients return to most routine activities as soon as possible.  The only recommendations they have are to avoid sun burn over the treated areas for 2 weeks, maintain compression for 2 days and don't soak in a hot bath for 2 days.  Working should not be a restriction following sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon