I want to have rhinoplasty, nasal tip reduction and reduction of mass on side of nose (Photo)

I am 25 year old male of mixed ethnicity (English, Mexican, Irish) 1. is it possible to reduce this amount of mass on the sides on my nose as shown in the photo? how would this be done? 2. Is the amount of 'mass reduction' possible and common in one procedure? 3. are the side of my nose mainly muscle or fat and cartolidge? 3. if the sides are composed of muscle, is reduction in that area impossible? I would really appreciate a response! thanks.

Rhinoplasty Question

Thank you for your question!  I believe you may be a candidate for a rhinoplasty, which is a procedure that reshapes the underlying cartilages and bone in the nose.  This can help to refine the appearance of the nose, make the nose more narrow (or wider), and change the position and length of the nasal tip.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  Here you will be able to discuss your goals for surgery.  

The nose is made of cartilage, bone, and the soft tissue which supports and holds these structures together.  When you have your consultation, your surgeon will be able to explain how the rhinoplasty procedure is performed.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Not realistic

Yes, your nose can be narrowed, but I do not think that narrow and certainly not in the tip.  Best to be evaluated in person.

Candidate for Rhinoplasty procedure

Thank you for your question and helpful photos.

I think you are a good candidate for what you are wishing done. An open rhinoplasty will address your concerns. Your nasal tip is composed of cartilage and subcutaneous tissue that can be adjusted and reduced to define it. No muscle involved. Osteotomies will narrow the nasal bone close to your desired wish pic.  

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

I want to have rhinoplasty, nasal tip reduction and narrowing of the side walls of the nose

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish narrowing the bridge line and narrowing the nasal tip with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. The upper one third of the nose is composed of bone, the midportion of the nose is composed of the upper lateral cartilages, and the nasal tip is composed of the lower lateral cartilages. Suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal are performed to narrow a bulbous nasal tip. Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones accomplish narrowing the entire bridge line. For more information  and many examples of narrowing a wide nose with closed rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

You can almost certainly have some reduction, but not as much as you showed. See the animation I made.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_hazzoinchina.html

I made an animation out of your before photo and after morph. The black arrows show the outside edge of your nostril before and after your morph. The amount of narrowing of the nostrils you demonstrated is more than is possible. But narrowing the tip of the nose itself, and a more modest narrowing of the nostrils, is possible.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

I usually make computer morphs when I'm answering questions like this, to show the changes that are possible for your nose with a rhinoplasty, but unfortunately the one photo you submitted isn't good enough for making morphs. At the *very* bottom of the Web reference page is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations like this, and instructions on sending more complete photos if you'd like a more complete evaluation.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reduction rhinoplasty

• Thank you for the question and photographs.  You have a common problem, shared by many seeking rhinoplasty.  Reduction in the width of the upper and middle thirds can be accomplished by osteotomies, while the tip and alar width can be narrowed by removing appropriate amounts of tip cartilage and alar soft tissue.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal refinement: Smaller tip and less nostril flare can help achieve your rhinoplasty goals.

What you desire is something done quite frequently in rhinoplasty. We commonly reduce the size and fullness of the nasal tip to make the nose look smaller- accentuating the eyes, the lips, and jaw structure. Also, since the elements of the nose should be reduced in proportion, we often reduce nostril flaring (nostril width) if the base of the nose is too wide. Not everyone is a candidate for this "alar base reduction" and patients need to be selected carefully based upon physical examination and patient desires. As a man, alar base reduction alone can be feminizing (make you look less masculine), as can over reduction of the nasal tip, so BE CAREFUL. In my opinion, what you've imaged looks a little overdone and makes it look like you've "had a nose job." Back it off about 8-10% and I think you're there. The sides of the nostril (ala) are composed of skin, muscle, and subcutaneous fat and once removed it can not be replaced. Looking at your first photo, it appears you could very well be a candidate for a conservative amount of tip reduction and alar base reduction- the trick is to discuss your goals carefully with your surgeon, see his/her imaging of your nose to see what is possible, looks natural, does not limit air intake, and achieves your goals! Good luck. -Randolph Capone, MD, FACS

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from osteotomies to help narrow your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Open reduction rhinoplasty with alar base reduction - achieving narrower nose and improved tip definition!

Dear hazzinchina. Many thanks for your post. The photos suggest you are looking for greater tip definition and a narrower nose. These issues are common in patients presenting for nose reshaping surgery and significant improvements are possible through rhinoplasty. In general, nasal reduction and refinement is achieved through a combination of strategic removal of bits of cartilage, cartilage rearrangement and a controlled break of the nose. Sometimes, the nostrils are also reduced through an external crease incision. Thickness of skin on the nose can temper results and it is impossible to comment on whether this is an issue in your case. I would recommend seeing a BAAPS/ BAPRAS registered plastic surgeon for a more in depth review of your situation and discussion about surgical options, Good luck!