I am having a mommy makeover and wondering will it feel like the same recovery as c section?

Ie will it be better or worse

Recovery After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #asymmetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Recovery

Its best to ask your plastic surgeon as he/she is most familiar with your procedures. There is a healing process from any surgery. I encourage my tummy tuck patients to ambulate the same day of surgery. But you will be walking in the flexed position. You should be able to walk upright/straight in approximately 7 days. Most of my tummy tuck patients are comfortable to go back to a desk job in 10 days after surgery. If your work involves strenuous activity or heavy lifting, most surgeons recommend avoiding heavy lifting or strenuous activity for at least 5 weeks. In general, for most desk jobs, I advise patients to take 10-14 days off if possible so you can focus on your recovery and not on deadlines/clients/meetings.

Hope this is helpful.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Abdominoplasty Recovery

Most of my patients tell me that their C-section was worse. I am not sure if that is because after a C-section you have to care for an infant as well or because it is just easier. I have also had some patients tell me that their C-section was easier. (I also tell patients that I have never had either, so I cannot say from personal experience.) It will depend mostly on what other procedures you are having done at the same time such as liposuction in other areas. Usually patients are feeling much more "human" after about 2 weeks.

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from a mommy makeover versus a C-section.

In my practice patients have an abdominoplasty say that it is not as painful as a C-section. The overall convalescence however will depend upon the total amount of surgery performed.

It is difficult to estimate this without knowing the actual procedures involved.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Mommy makeover recovery

Thanks for your inquiry, I am not sure you can compare the two because after a c-section you have to take care of a baby! a most impressive thing.  Overall, both a tummy tuck and a c-section involve muscle sutures which represent the greatest contributor to limitations.  Good Luck.  

Mommy makeover recovery vs c-section recovery.

Tummy tuck recovery with mommy make over is often much more comfortable than c-section recovery. When a c-section is performed the abdominal muscle is cut, making recovery more painful. With a tummy tuck the abdominal muscle is not cut making for a more comfortable and rapid recovery.

If a lipo-abdominoplasy is performed (Brazilian Style) witout a drain, the  post-operative recovery and comfot are much improved as there is limited dissection.

A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in lipo-abdominoplasty can help you in your recovery.

Yours,

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH, FACS

Newport Beach, CA

Post-Op pain

Regarding abdominal discomfort after surgery, in my experience most patients of report less discomfort with the abdominoplasty portion of the procedure when compared to their previous C-section.  The abdominal plication, which helps contour the abdominal wall is typically the most painful portion of the operation.  The amount of discomfort you experience will be influenced by degree of correction and well as surgical technique.  You should discuss the role of using local anesthesia to assist in post-op pain control with your surgeon as there are some very effective options on the market.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Jacob Bloom, MD

Thank you for the question.  When I ask patients who have had BOTH C-sections and tummy tuck operations performed, most will tell me that the C-section was associated with more discomfort.  Generally speaking, I have found that the “mindset” the patient's have prior to proceeding with surgery, makes a big difference when it comes to their recovery experience.  In other words, patients who are “glass half full” and physically, psychosocially, and emotionally stable tend to do well,  as opposed to patients who are "glass half empty”.   In any case,  the “mommy makeover” operations are considered a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike); a few words of advice  I provide to my patients may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Depends on the procedures you are having.  Mommy makeovers usually involve Breast Surgery, as well as Tummy Tuck.  In my practice, the vast majority of patients do very well, and describe it better than a C section.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD