I am very flat first thing in the morning but throughout the day my whole belly swells. How long will this last? (Photo)

I am 6 weeks post op my stomach is very flat on a morning but throughout the day i swell and look pregnant

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your surgeon so they can perform an examination and determine whether there are any complications present but at this point in your recovery period, swelling is completely normal and will continue to resolve over the next 4-6 months. Continue to follow your surgeon’s aftercare instructions and you should notice your results begin to refine and swelling should dissipate leaving you with your true result.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still relatively early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for three to six months following your tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

I am very flat first thing in the morning but throughout the day my whole belly swells. How long will this last?

Do not be alarmed. Unfortunately swelling post surgery just takes its sweet time to completely resolve. Generally you can expect this to continue for the next several months. It will gradually get better, and will always be worse in the latter part of the day after you have been up and about all day. Gravity tends to pull swelling downwards. Just be patient. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. Swelling can last up to 6 months following a Tummy Tuck.  Continue close follow up with your surgeon. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Swelling after TT

Thank you for your question. It is normal variation during the healing phase. Swelling may last 3-4 months. Please follow instructions from your PS and you will be fine.

Swelling after surgery

Thank you for your question. You are very early in the healing process. The swelling from a tummy tuck can last 2-3 months.  So what you are describing is completely normal and will continue to improve over the next couple weeks. Stay patient. Good luck with recovery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon