I recently saw a consultant who advised me against chin implant surgery due to the risk of infection afterwards.

Sliding genioplasty is probably the best option for me, however, does the incision always have to be made inside the mouth or can the incision be made underneath the chin for sliding genioplasty?

Chin Augmentation and Risk of Infection.

Both procedures have risks that include infection. The good news is that it is unlikely for both.
#chinaugmentation
#chinimplant

Sliding genioplasty

Thank you for the question and the risk of infection is equal for a sliding genioplasty or implants though the risk of infection in both cases is very low

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Siding Genioplasty

A sliding genioplasty needs to be done from an incision inside the mouth. It is only a chin implant that has the option of either an intraoral or a submental incision for placement.

Sliding genioplasty vs. chin implant

Both procedure have their inherited risks of infection; it is most likely the same, around 1%. The same apply for intraoral (inside of the mouth) and submental (under the chin) incisions for both procedures. 

You should seek a second opinion by an experienced plastic surgeon regarding chin augmentation with implants to have better understanding of risks and benefits of both procedures. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

For this type od chin enhancement the inception has to be placed on the inside, risk of infection is not that high.
If you want the incision outside, a chin implant would have to be used.

Carlos Castaneda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

Without any photographs,  it is very difficult to comment on what may be required to augment the chin area. Chin implants are made of synthetic Silastic,  and come in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since both the chin and the implants are three-dimensional structures. The incision placement for the implants in our practice is located in the submental area to prevent infection and antibiotics are also given. Chin implants are placed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes. It is very rare to have an infection in a chin implant. For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

Chin

Maybe you should see a surgeon who has experience with chin implants. No type of surgery is without risk of infection. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommend consulting with Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and/or Plastic Surgeon

Silicone chin implants are a safe, effective and reversible option for chin augmentation with a low infection rate of 5-7%.  The chin implants are also can be carved during surgery for the proper shape and fit desired.  Sliding genioplasty is an option and requires bone cutting, screws and increased discomfort.  Both options are possible; however, I recommend chin augmentation with silastic implants in my practice for the above reasons. 

Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and/or plastic surgeon who specializes in implant surgery.

Karan Dhir, MD

Hi, I have performed many chin augmentations, using a chin implant, for over 30 years.  IMHO. placing a silsatic chin implant through a small, curved incision under the chin is very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts, metal plastes and screws.  In the hands of an experienced Chin Implant Surgeon the risk of unwanted side effects, including infection, are very low.  You may want to get a second opinion.  We haver many chin augmentation patients from all over the world that can fly back home 5 days following the procedure.

You can always e-mail photos of your face from the front and side for further evaluation.  We perform chin implant placement under local or general anesthesia with the procedure taking less than 30 minutes.  Hope this helps.