4 days post op, my lips is bruised, swollen, and lopsided. Is this normal? (photos)

I am bruised in one area which has calmed down but swelling hasn't. Its been 4days since &bottom lip is lopsided and swollen. I had my lips done a few years ago and had no bruising & little swelling. In the photo you can see the swelling on my bottom lip. This time round, the bruising has gone down but the swelling hasn't. I took arnica pills and iced my lips immediately after the procedure. My plastic surgeon who carried out the procedure said swelling can last up to 2 weeks but last time I had them done I hardly had any swelling at all. Is this normal?? Pls help!

4 days post op, my lips is bruised, swollen, and lopsided. Is this normal?

Appears as a normal healing response. Best to discuss in person with your chosen Plastic Surgeon....

Swelling

While the swelling does seem excessive, you should wait about 2 weeks as your surgeon suggested for the swelling to subside. If by that time it's still apparent, please return to your surgeon for a follow up.

Swollen lips after filler

It is normal to expect swelling and just because you did not swell in the past does not mean you won't swell in the future. Each procedure you have done can react differently any time. Wait for the follow up visit which should follow in 2 weeks, this will give you time to heal and let the doctor get a better idea of the finished results.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruised and swollen lips after filler

Yes bruising and swelling is not uncommon with injections and sometimes can take up 1-2 weeks to completely resolve. However, if you are not satisfy with way your lips look after 2 weeks, I would suggest seeing your provider for further evaluation. 

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Juvederm

Hello lippy123, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

From your photos it appears that you are having a normal response to injections into the lip.

The lips can swell considerably, as well as, show significant bruising.  Several factors must be considered including the product used, the injector and technique used as well as the amount of product. 

I would continue with conservative measures including elevating your head, cool compresses, and return to your physician injector to evaluate you.

Good Luck, 

Dr. S

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 days post lip injections, you may see some bruising and swelling.  This is not unusual.  The amount of filler that was injected may be more than the last time.  The bruising will go away in a few days to a week or so.  The fullness depends on how much you had injected.

Bruised Lips

Everybody reacts differently to procedures just like you have now. Different techniques can play a part in how much bruising and swelling you have. The last time you had your filler you may have had them done by someone else.

Bruising again is not unusual but again can be caused by the technique and injector. You should not be worried about this as it will subside. You must be patient and allow the swelling and bruising to subside. Also though massaging can help with the lumps that you may feel in your lips. It will cause more swelling. Wait until the swelling has gone down before massaging the product.

By looking at the images its hard to say what is swelling and what is product as you have not mentioned how many vials you had injected. If worried make an appointment for a check up with the surgeon.

Benjamin Norris, MbCHb, FRACS(Plast)
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and lopsided after Juvederm

I don't know what filler you had last time, or even if the same amount was injected... so those are variables too. Swelling and bruising are very normal after any fillers. Swelling is very rarely uniform or even, so having swelling in some areas and not others is ok. Your surgeon is correct that swelling and bruising can last up to about 2 weeks, and this is especially true in the thin-skinned areas like the lips. Don't press on them. Arnica and ice will still help.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Post Lip filler swelling/Bruising

Swelling and bruising is normal after lip injections. The amount of swelling can vary each time you have the procedure done, it won't always be the same.  I would recommend you wait for 2 weeks for the swelling to go down and the product to settle.  Best of luck

Martin Jugenburg, MD