High profile or moderate plus? (Photo)

I have a ba in August and I have said to my surgeon that I wanted a breast lift. He said that my best option was a ba only or to do ba with areola lift but said he would prefer just ba to avoid scarring. So I agreed after a few weeks thought, so now he suggests 325cc high profile? I'm 5ft 9 and size 10 waist and he feels they would suit. I want s more natural look so then he suggested 350 cc moderate plus mentor....what would you suggest, by looking at my shape?!

High profile or moderate plus?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Implant type

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately your photo is not clear.  If you surgeon is board certfied and an expert in performing the breast augmentation, then I would follow his advice.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Which Profile is Best For Implant With Lift?

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Implant projection

A higher profile implant may help to alleviate the need for a lift.  However, you may choose to have a lift in the future.  An augmentation and lift at the same time is likely your best option for a great outcome in one surgery.  Discuss your thoughts with your surgeon and develop a good plan.  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation only or lift plus implants? HP or moderate plus?

It sounds as if your surgeon is appropriately trying to reduce scarring, cost, risks, and give you a thoughtful recommendation that still preserves the option to add a lift later, rather than simply agreeing with your initial request when a breast lift may indeed be unnecessary for a quite nice outcome.

That being said, I believe that moderate plus implants (in appropriate anatomy) tend to give a more natural look, nicer cleavage, and less "fake" look than HP implants. You do have more ptosis (droop) on one side than the other, but you clearly do not want a lift on only one side. But since you also have what appears to be a volume asymmetry (visibly different breast sizes), you may want to consider implants of two different sizes. A 30cc difference is only 2 tablespoons, and would likely NOT be a visible discrepancy, so you may need to consider implants at least 60cc difference in volume, unless indeed your bras fit equally, and you simply have looser skin on one side.

If the more droopy breast had its nipple below the level of your inframammary crease (do the pencil test by placing a pencil at the level of you crease on the droopier side, and then look in a mirror to see if your nipple lies above or below the level of the pencil), then you need a lift. If the nipple is above this crease level, then simply "filling" the loose breast skin may well be all you need for an excellent result.

I would suggest trying on various implants in a bra and stretchy top, and see what "look--size" you like. You can even try on implants of two different sizes to see if or how they compare or even-out your asymmetric volume. Once you and your surgeon decide on a size, then choose the profile whose dimensions "fit" your breast base diameter. HP implants of a too-small size in a wide(r) chest will have a wide and unattractive cleavage and give you a less natural look. Likewise, wide(r) moderate plus implants in a too-narrow chest may not "fit" and could increase risk of symmastia (uni-boob) or too-much "side boob." Profile needs to be coordinated with your anatomy and size wishes, not just a recommendation regarding "natural-ness."

I would suggest more time with your surgeon to figure this out--determining later what SHOULD have been done is an expensive course of action that is potentially avoidable, IMHO. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

You need lift

Your right breast is very different than the other side and will cause even more asymmetry post augmentation. I would recommend bilateral breast lift and implant at the same time. My concern about doing the augmentation first is the degree of asymmetry and your right nipple position. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

You have considerable asymmetry ( pictures)

If your photos reflect true reality then you are quite asymmetric.  I feel that asymmetry needs attention.  Matched breasts perform better after augmentation.  Moderate plus implants look less fake than high profile implants.  However it is patient desired outlook that determines choice between these two. Both work.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

High Profile vs Mod plus

I don't think you will notice much difference between the two - both will give you a nice natural size and shape.  The thing I would be concerned with is your breasts are uneven with one being larger and more ptotic than the other with a higher inframammary fold.  I would recommend a lift on the one side to balance the nipple height and breast shape after.  I would reconsult with your surgeon and find out how he plans to address this.
Thanks for your question. 

Leonard Harris, MD
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

High-profile vs moderate plus implants

It's a fact that the number one complaint after breast augmentation is "I wish I had gone bigger". With a high profile implant, you get more volume for a given diameter, but the implants become very tear-drop after the skin has relaxed for a very natural look. Hope this helps, good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

High profile or moderate plus?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.

Keep in mind, that breast augmentation surgery does not provide a true "lift"; make sure that your goals will be realistically achieved with the planned procedure.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.