What can be done to give me a fuller cleavage? (photos)

I'm planning on getting 475 or 525cc implants under the muscle but my breasts are far apart so what can my surgeon do to give me a fuller cleavage without me having to wear a push up bra? Or can little be done as this is my genetics ? Thanks

What can be done to give me a fuller cleavage?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. You are correct in that your anatomic starting point will to some degree determine how much space will be present between your breasts after breast augmentation surgery.  Other factors involved include careful breast implant pocket dissection and careful selection of breast implant size/profile.  Remember (when it comes to breast implant pocket dissection and achievement of ideal breast implant cleavage) that each nipple/areola complex must be centered on each breast mound.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Will a breast augmentation improve cleavage?

Thanks for your photo and question. Based on this photo, you look like an excellent breast augmentation candidate. In terms of your cleavage, I agree with the other doctors--you were born with your cleavage. Augmented breasts will certainly will certainly give you a fuller chest but that distance between your breast should and will stay the same. If you want to create more significant cleavage, you will still need a bra, but you will have a lot more to work with after your surgery. I caution you to not get larger implants to increase the chance of improving your cleavage. Women who have the best outcomes with breast augmentation have implants that fit their anatomy. I wish you the best.

Wide intermammary space

Thank you for your excellent question. The short answer is Nothing. In my opinion two rules that should always be followed in doing breast augmentation are that the implant should be centered beneath the nipple and that the implant should not exceed the base width of the breast, in fact it's diameter should be somewhat less than the breast width,  ESPECIALLY in patients with very little body fat as you appear to be. I am sure you can find a surgeon who will be happy to give you what you want but you will ultimately regret it. If a surgeon creates pockets for the implants that create cleavage where you currently have none, two things will happen. Your nipples will look like they are pointing out to the sides. Imagine the opposite of a cross eyed look.  The other thing that will happen is that the part of the implant that is closer to your midline will be covered by not much more than skin so that you will have visible rippling THAT WILL ONLY GET WORSE WITH TIME.  Some surgeons will tell you that using a form stable shaped implant will prevent this but even if it does, you will still have to deal with the first problem, your nipples pointing out to the sides.  The bottom line is that you should be able to get a very nice result from a breast augmentation. You will just need to accept the fact that you will not have the cleavage you desire. 

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon

Breast cleavage

Recommend sub pectoral implants with tight postoperative compression. Cleavage will be limited due to sternal width and necessity Not to completely release the medial pectoralis attachments 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Creating a fuller cleavage in ladies with a naturally wide gap can be a challenge sometimes

The main point to get across is that your breasts and your nipples are in fact naturally widely spaced in proportion to the rest of your chest.  In addition, your chest wall appears to  be somewhat prominent in the sternal, or middle, aspect, and this creates a tendency for your breasts to naturally diverge, or fall away from each other with gravity.  These are just the anatomical facts of your body, sort of like saying that someone is 5'4" or that she has brown hair.  Some things we can change about our physical bodies, but if we are going to change those things, we have to first understand what we are changing and then how to change them to create the most natural appearance.   Some things can't be changed very effectively at all, and we have to figure out ways to "work around" them.  Following my analogy above - you can't very well change your height.  If you're 5'4" you're pretty much going to remain that height.  We can possibly change other aspects of your body to enhance your proportions at that height, for instance liposuction of the thighs or hips to make your legs look leaner and maybe longer, but this will be "camouflage" of sorts, and you will still be your same height.  On the other hand, if you are a brunette and wish to be a blonde, we can certainly color your hair blonde.  We just have to make sure we do in a way that looks natural so as to not leave you looking brassy, overly purplish, or some other form of unnatural blonde color that can result from technical misadventure.  You get the picture.  So it is with breasts.  We can change some things about the breasts, but we have to do it in a way that makes sense aesthetically.  We should not disturb the natural aesthetic proportions or relationships of your breasts just for the sake of the singular goal to make your cleavage narrower.  The one truth in this matter is that your nipples must remain essentially the visual center of any breast that results from surgery.  If you try to force the issue and place implants too close to the center of the chest, or for that matter, if you do anything to make the central part of the breasts fuller, like even adding volume with fat transfer, without a corresponding or proportionate increase in the volume of the outside aspect of the breasts, you will wind up with the nipples off-center and pointing too far laterally, or toward the armpits.  I can’t tell you how many times I have seen this; I wish it were less.  Thus, one of the most important parts about selecting the right implants in a person like you is to choose ones with a wide enough base dimension.  This may get a little tricky at this point as other issues like volume and projection will come into play.  Focusing mainly on width may force you to select an implant that ultimately is larger than you wanted or creates too much of an upper pole projection, or fullness and roundness.  This is where your surgeon really has to be there with you, interpreting your specific desires, honestly assessing what he or she can and cannot do, and making the appropriate recommendations to best achieve your goals.  One thing to consider, if you haven’t already, is a shaped implant, as this may allow you to go with a wider base dimension in the upper ranges of volume without a fuller, rounder upper pole contour.  If you like the upper pole contour you are likely to achieve with a round implant in those volume ranges, then great, go with round.  But, if you want the larger width, and thus volume range, without too much upper pole contribution, then shaped may make sense for you.  It’s worth discussing with your surgeon, if you haven't already.  It's also worth mentioning that even with wider implants, even shaped ones, you may still have some space between your breasts, just based upon overall chest width and shape of the sternum and rib cage.  In these instances, it is also very important for the surgeon to artfully deal with the creation of the pocket in this area and the proper release of the muscle and soft tissues to produce the most even contour transitions and natural appearance, even though there may still be some room between the breasts.  This is another place where shaped implants can possibly win the day, because their shape is such that they aren't simply round in every dimension, and the inner contour is usually softened as the breast proceeds from bottom to top along the sternum, too.  These are more technical aspects of the surgery itself, and if your surgeon is experienced in breast surgery and has seen lots of ladies with this kind of chest and breast architecture, it is highly likely that he or she understands these principles.  In the end, I think ladies are happiest with a natural enhancement of their own anatomy and not something that looks like a “square peg was forced through a round hole.”  Recognize the unique characteristics of your own body and work with those to make them the most beautiful that they can be with sound judgment and techniques, but accept those things that can’t be easily changed with surgery.  Again, if your surgeon is properly educated and certified and has lots of experience in breast surgery, he or she probably understands these principles, but perhaps for your own peace of mind you can review with your surgeon the details of how he or she will approach this part of your case.  Best of luck.

How to improve cleavage

You can undergo a fat transfer procedure to your cleavage area at the same time as your augmentation to create the look of more cleavage. Consult with a plastic surgeon experienced in this type of surgery.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Implants and increased breast size will give you more full cleavage.  However, the general shape and orientation of your breast stays the same after augmentation.  I would expect your nipples to still point laterally. Often this is based on the shape of the underlying chest wall.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon

Seeking deeper cleavage

Thank you very much for your question and photograph. Unfortunately, while breast implants can vastly improve the size and shape of your breasts, there is little that can be done to change your cleavage. A breast augmentation will make your breasts larger, but the natural distance between your breast will remain the same. My recommendation is to discuss your aesthetic desires with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. At your consultation appointment, he/she should have you try on breast implant sizers, which will provide an excellent image of your expected results.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a good candidate for a breast augmentation.  Breast implants will help improve your cleavage.  As you stated, your breasts are wide apart.  This cannot changed to make extremely full cleavage, but you will be able to still have a nice result.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD