Fatter lumpy thighs with excruciating pain 4 weeks post coolsculpting. Cannot wear my old trousers as so fat? (Photos)

I had coolsculpting 4 weeks ago. Painful from start. After 1 week my thighs became lumpy, they were still really swollen, pain and size increased so went back to be told it was fat trapped in my muscles as I had done too much exercise! Given 3 sessions of ultrasound to "break it up". Now even fatter than before! Am totally depressed and in so much pain! What has happened? And why am I getting bigger? Dr said it wasn't PAH because it happened straight away. Is it muscle damage? Please help!

Pain and Lumpiness in Thighs after Treatment

This is not a typical side effect of Coolsculpting. I would return to a board certified physician to have this examined. You can try topical lidocaine for the pain. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Medial thighs are TOUGH

The skin overlying the medial thighs is very thin. When we perform medial thighplasty procedures the scars are an issue and often lead us to seek out other treatments which may result in sub optimal results. In the case of Coolsculpting consider combination treatments with other heat based therapies as an adjunct or even a replacement. Post procedure massage is essential and realistic expectations as the major driving factor for seeking treatment may be loose skin. These conditions often require surgery with skin excision.

Seek out a Board certified plastic surgeon to help you with your concerns.

Problems with Coolsculpting

This reaction is not typical, but some swelling and discomfort are not unusual. It is unusual for the swelling and discomfort to last 4 weeks. I'd see your provider so they can examine the area and make sure that the tissue is healing normally. Coolsculpting can take 2-3 months for all the healing to occur, so hopefully this will resolve on it's own.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy after Coolsculpting--Contact Dr--Add Vanquish, Cellutone/Zwave

This isn't typical. I recommend adding a combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Thermage, Vanquish, Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra with Z wave/Cellutone in order to improve these results, but follow up with your Dr. about the pain you're experiencing. Best, Dr. Emer

Pain in thighs with lumpiness from Coolsculpting?

This is not typical. Are you sure this was Coolsculpting and not a bad knock off? I would continue with ultrasound or Z Wave treatment of the area. I don't think it has anything to do with exercise.  Vanquish can also be used to smooth things out. Try topical lidocaine for the pain.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lumps from Coolsculpting

I would return immediately to your board certified physician for examination.  The side effects that you are describing are not typical.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green