I had a face and neck lift 2 weeks ago. Is it normal to be this swollen?

I have had a face and neck lift 2 weeks ago. I am quite happy so far but from my cheeks down to my neck are still very swollen I look a bit like a hamster. I know I am still swollen a bit I still have a bit of a double chin. I can see that am getting a jaw line. Also had my eyes down which seem quite good. They are still a little swollen as well Is it normal to still be this swollen. How long should it take to go down.

Swelling After 2 Weeks Is Not Abnormal

Every patient heals at a different rate, and the vascularity of the head can make the healing process after facial surgery a bit lengthy. It's normal to still see swelling at this phase of the healing process. It's also not uncommon to have swelling "move around," affecting different areas of the face on different days. You may even feel as if you're healing unevenly. These are all relatively normal symptoms, and you should see them diminish quite a bit as the days and weeks pass. It's completely appropriate to wait until your next follow-up appointment to share your concerns with your surgeon, but if the swelling is really bothering you, feel free to call and express your concerns. Wishing you speedy healing.

Normal healing process

What you are seeing now is a part of the normal healing process and at only 2 weeks, definitely not your final result. The lumpiness, swelling, numbness, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery then slowly begin to go away. The scars will fade and mature over the next 12 months. Give your body time to heal and be patient with your recovery. Best wishes.

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #facelift

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 2 weeks after face/neck lift

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  It would be very helpful to have some pictures to review.  The recovery from face/neck lift can vary from one patient to another, but it is certainly normal to still have swelling at 2 weeks.  The swelling can also vary depending on the surgical technique used and other procedures that were performed at the same time.  For most facial rejuvenation procedures, the apparent visible swelling that can be seen by others will resolve in 1- 3 weeks.  However, there is still some mild residual swelling that can be felt, but may not be visibly apparent to others, that takes several weeks to resolve.  For most patients, this will be mostly resolved in 2 - 3 months, but may take longer in some.  I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your primary surgeon and be patient with the healing process.  Best of luck to you in your recovery.

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are swollen, although, pictures of your post op would be able to confirm. The swelling should subside one months after your surgery. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

I agree that your progress seems a little delayed, but this is not necessarily a cause for concern.  Of course, photos would help us make a more informed judgement.  Definitely see your surgeon to make sure progress is what he/she expects.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Likely ok

It would easier to advise you if there were photos. That being said it is very normal to have swelling  at 2 weeks post face lift. Most of the major swelling is down by 2-3 weeks and the next major wave  is done 6 to 12 weeks following the procedure. I 

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is expected for you to be swollen 2 weeks after a facelift.  The swelling will continue to subside with time.  Following post-operative instructions is imperative to curtail prolong swelling and delayed healing.  Often reducing sodium in your diet (less than 1500mg) will help as well.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Without photos or a physical exam, it is difficult to say whether or not you have an abnormal amount of swelling; however, it is quite normal to have swelling around the cheeks at 2 weeks post face lift.  In most cases the swelling will subside in the first 6 to 12 weeks following the procedure.  If you have concerns be certain to check back with your surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Patients all heal at different rates.  Speak with your surgeon about facial massage.  At this stage, massage may help expedite the healing.  Some swelling is normal during recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Many factors can cause swelling

Swelling can be normal part of healing after a facelift or it can be from complications like bleeding and fluid accumulation under the skin. It is best that you seek evaluation and true answers from your operating surgeon. This requires a visit with your surgeon.
Theoretical guesses on internet will not help you.  

Vasdev Rai, MD