Face/neck lift and upper blepheroplasty post-op tips?

I've set a date for face/neck lift and upper blepheroplasty and wondered if anyone can give me post op tips please as I'm getting nervous -but reading your experiences is really helping me be brave enough to go through with something I really want to have done. Thank you

Let Yourself Rest, Rely on Friends & Family

Congratulations on your decision to pursue facial plastic surgery. Many of my patients have concerns about the healing process and there are certainly steps to take that can improve the experience. I expect your plastic surgeon will provide detailed pre- and postoperative instructions for you to follow. Understanding that the healing process is different for each patient is important. There is no one-size-fits-all recovery. Have a support system in place before the procedure and allow yourself to rest (but move around enough to promote good blood circulation). Facelift patients are often surprised that the healing process involves less discomfort than expected. Good luck to you! 

Healing after a Facelift

My best advice, is to expect swelling and expect to see the scars at first, this is normal. But, they will fade, so just be prepared to see these things at first and you will see them fade over time. I've included an article I wrote on facelift healing below. 
James P. Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift & Blepharoplasty Tips

Congrats! First and foremost...have patience through the healing process. Take it easy for a few weeks and listen to your surgeon on when to resume normal activity levels. Overdoing it can lead to complications and slow the healing process. Keeping the incisions clean with an antiobiotic ointment applied (typically twice per day) is important as well. Avoid NSAIDS and blood-thinners two week pre and post surgery, ice for the first 48 hours, and sleep with your head elevated for 2-7 nights if possible to help with swelling.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op care after a facelift and blepharoplasty

Make sure you have read all your postoperative instructions prior to the date of your surgery.  Make a shopping list and have things like gauze, your food, Gatorade, soup, and postop meds.  Ask your surgeon about peri operative vitamins.  Use ice packs or a cooling mask religiously for the first 48 hours.  Get good sleep.  Hydrate well.  Do not use aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners.  Here's a few thoughts.  Hope this helps.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Tips

Thank you for your question. First having these complex procedures done by a board certified surgeon who performs at least 100 of the procedures per year will likely yield the best results and better healing process. Have your surgeon take his/her time to use sutures instead of staples for the closure. A ice water circulated Cool Mask makes the job easier for the care. Remember to have someone with you as you recover and keep in contact with your surgeon if you have any questions/concerns throughout your recovery process. Wish you all the best,Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Post op tips

Some helpful post op tips for you to consider include,  using a cold compress over your face and eyelids every hour for 10-15 minutes the first day after surgery and as needed the second and third days. Sleeping with your head elevated will help to keep the swelling down. Also, avoid all aspirin products 7-10days before surgery to minimize risk of bleeding and bruising. We also like to recommend Arnicare gel to use for swelling and bruising post surgery on your face.

Jill Foster, MD
Columbus Oculoplastic Surgeon

Postoperative Tips

The most obvious, but most frequently forgotten advice is to follow directions postoperatively, especially related to physical activity.  You cannot necessarily speed the healing process up, but you can definitely slow it down.  Maintain a high protein diet, eat pineapple (Bromelain), limit sun exposure, and keep your head elevated.  My patients receive instructions orally and in writing to minimize confusion after a procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op face

I tell my patients to stop all herbal supplements for 2 weeks before.also no aspirin or aspirin like compounds.Also I tell my aptienst that vit K cream rubbed into your face/neck say 2X a day a couple of days before will help minimize bruising.Blessings.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Aftercare Tips

Good luck with your operation and I am sure you will love the results. For my patients I provide them with an aftercare sheet post-surgery. My tips are *Keep your head elevated when in bed (just raise with a couple of peoples) *frozen peas in a towel will help swelling along with soaking cotton pads with Witch hazel, popping them in the fridge for a while then taking them out and placing over your eyes with be soothing and relaxing. *Drink plenty of fluids and eat well the evening of your procedure.*Avoid showering until the morning after your procedure. We then encourage you to shower and wash your hair as normal. Once you have done this, you can then gently blow dry your hair and the area around your ears with the hairdryer on its cool setting. *Don’t allow pets of any variety to share a bed with you and avoid allowing pets near your face for the first four weeks after your procedure. Allowing pets near your face has the potential to result in an infection. However being vigilant will help reduce this risk. I hope this helps. Well done for being brave and I hope it all goes well for you

Care after Facelift

Congratulations on choosing your date for your facelift and blepharoplasty!  The goal of these procedures is to give you a more refreshed and youthful appearance after surgery.  It is important to follow the post-operative care regimen, as this will help to speed your recovery and make you more comfortable during this time.  Be sure to get your post-op instructions from your surgeon, as he/she will have specific things that they want your to do or avoid.  In general, you will need to limit your activity for the first few days after surgery.  Be sure to stay hydrated, and take your prescribed medication as directed.  Your surgeon will instruct you on how to care for your incisions, and generally you will want to gently cleanse every day and apply ointment afterwards.  Also, it will be important to keep your eyes well lubricated with eye drops during the day and ointment when your go to bed.  I hope this helps, and good luck with your procedure!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon