My eyes droop and slant downwards and I'm only 19. Do I need a lateral canthoplasty to fix it? (Photo)

Pictures attached. I hate the negative canthal tilt.

Doctor Answers 4

Congenital lower eyelid retraction (droopy lower eyelids)

You have what you describe you have. You don't "need" surgery but surgery can be considered. See following example.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


Thank you for your question. The pictures indicate that you have lower eyelid drooping, which can be addressed via eyelid surgery (aka blepharoplasty), however, you would benefit from an in-person consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for a more comprehensive diagnosis.

Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 120 reviews

A canthoplasty alone will not fix your issues.

A canthoplasty is rarely the answer to most lower eyelid issues and in your case can actually make your lower eyelid inferior scleral show worse.  The reason why the lower eyelid looks the way it does is related to the shape of the cheek bone which does not support the lower eyelid.  You also have significant ptosis.  I recommend seeing several fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons in your area and see where that takes you.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that can help you find a well qualified surgeon in your area.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Lower Lid Retraction

Hi hairer,
Thanks for your question and photos. You are very astute in noticing that you do have a slight negative canthal tilt. This results in a mild amount of lower lid retraction, especially laterally. The question of whether or not you need it fixed is more difficult to answer. If you are having issues with exposure of the surface of your eye (dry eye) or irritation, that may be reason to repair this from a functional standpoint. Of course, this can also be repaired for cosmetic reasons. 
I would recommend you seek an consultation with a skilled oculoplastic surgeon in your vicinity.

Good luck!

John McCann, MD, PhD
Sandy Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.