What can I do to "enlarge" my lips? (Photo)

I don't like the shape of my lips at all, I don't really know what is wrong but I think my mouth is too small for my face. It looks so weird, it doesn't match! I think that I need to have horizontally bigger lips, what can I do? Thank you for your help

​Lip injections would be a great place to start if you are unhappy with the shape and appearance of your mouth.

Lip injections would be a great place to start if you are unhappy with the shape and appearance of your mouth. Lip injectables that are hyaluronic based are excellent options because they have a very low risk of allergic reaction, as hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body. Lip injectables work by providing added volume, improved lip definition and shape. Ask your physician which hyaluronic product is right for you to deliver a smooth and precise injection into the thin and delicate tissues of the lips. Results typically last six months. With the new Juvederm Volbella product you may have results that last up to one year.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question in regards to lip augmentation. Hyaluronic acid based fillers such as Juvederm would be a great start to adding volume to your lips. Although lip fillers are temporary, HA fillers are also dissolveable if you end up not liking your results. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question.

I do think you would be a good candidate for lip augmentation with a hyaluronic acid filler. I ususally prefer a softer filler such as Restylane Silk. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend only getting treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Volume

An in person consultation is the best way to assess your facial anatomy and structure and the best filler for your lips.  It is both an art and a science to create the best lips with a personal approach.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Your Best Lips

I believe it is less about enlarging your lips and more about creating the best lips for you. It is very important to me to thoroughly discuss a patient's concerns, taking into account their facial anatomy and then creating a treatment plan that best suits them. Based on your photo, a filler such as Restylane could be a great option to add some volume in the corners, but of course an in-person consultation would be necessary in order to determine the best course of treatment. 

Dennis Gross, MD

Lip augmentation

Your lips looks fine horizontally as it falls within normal proportions to your nose and lower fact. Your lips are also well defined. Your upper lip is in proportion to your lower lip. I suggest you get an evaluation and discuss your concerns with the doctor. 

Volumizing Fillers Can Work Well For Nonsurgical Lip Augmentation & Enhancement

I clearly see what you mean about the horizontal dimension of the lips being "too short."  The proportions of the central sections of the red area of the lips appear absolutely fine, with the appropriate volume relationship of upper to lower lip. There is also good vermilion definition and prominent Cupid's Bow and philtral columns. The lips become pale towards the corners (the angles) of the mouth on both sides, which I believe is contributing to the perceived "short"  horizontal dimension.

Adding a small amount of volumizing filler to the sides will likely remedy this. Juvederm Ultra Plus XC would be my choice of injectable filler for this purpose in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice. In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available, I would opt for Princess Volume.

Be sure you seek consultation with a board certified aesthetic core physician with expertise in nonsurgical lip enhancement. And make sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos before proceeding.

Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

fillers, fat and implants do great for lips. I suggest you see an expert for treatment and someone who truly understands contouring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

What can I do to "enlarge" my lips?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs. In most cases use of a hyaluronic acid filler, such as Juvederm or Restylane, can provide patients' lips with an excellent volume enhancement, while also permitting correction of any subtle asymmetries. I often recommend a gradual enlargement of the lips to avoid unnecessary swelling. You can start with a single syringe, allow two weeks to pass and have a second syringe used if needed to reach your desired shape and size. Hope this helps.

Lip augmentation - best approach

Thank you for asking about your lip augmentation.

• A great choice for you is a hyaluronic acid lip filler.
  • It is done in the office, results are 6-9 months and if you don't like the look, it is reversibile.
  • This will fill out your lips 
  • Your photo also suggests that the outer lip edges are pale, not pink like the rest of the lip.-
  • This makes the lip look shorter than it is.
  • Cosmetic pigmentation can add color to this area and make the lips visible by making them pink.
  • However there is no no cosmetic surgery to widen the lips. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS