Due to get more breast implants in 2 months - just had 30ml of (non infected) seroma aspirated from old cavity.

I had a lift with implants in june. I was badly infected so had them removed a month later. I started healing straight away but one breast was bigger and fuller then the other from the start with suspected seroma. I was told my body would reabsorb this fluid but three months later I had an ultrasound as I had pain and could feel a solid mass which turned out to be seroma in the old implant cavity. they aspirated it but two days later its filled back up! will this stop new implants in January?

Doctor Answers 2

Redo breasts augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Sacha,

   Sorry for your problems which are very rare, but do occur, unfortunately. In regard to the seroma, I hope that your surgeon sent a specimen of the fluid to the laboratory, to rule out bacteria growing in the fluid. If the result is negative, the seroma can be left alone until surgery, unless it is very uncomfortable, in which case, periodic aspiration can be helpful.

   The sterile seroma should not prevent you from having the redo breasts augmentation. The only additional procedure should be partial or complete capsulectomy , if the seroma persist, so that it can get absorbed . A drain in the are might be indicated, but leave it to your surgeon to make that decision.

   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center , for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.

                 Best of luck,

                                         Dr Widder

Wait until resolved

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I can only tell you what I would do in this situation. I would wait at least a month until after this seroma cavity is completely resolved. In that way you can lessen the risk of a capsular contracture happening. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon to get insight into their plan. Best of luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.