Do I have diastasis recti? (Photo)

I had a hernia as a baby and every time I do a sit up or I am on my hands and needs my stomach does this weird shape? Considering my stomach is flat normally I dont understand why it looks this way.

Full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction.  This will flatten the muscles, reconstruct your core muscular corset, revise the belly button, eliminate the stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hairline, and remove the loose skin and fat of the anterior abdomen.

Diastasis recti

You would need an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon or by a general surgeon to determine if you have loose muscles or a recurrent hernia. 

Diastasis Recti or Separation of the Abdominal Muscles

You may have rectus diastasis. Given that you are thin, it would likely be easy for a plastic surgeon to determine if you do have this issue during a physical exam. Patients with rectus diastasis often note a ridge or a bulge during attempts to do sit ups. Rectus diastasis is common in newborns and in pregnant or previously pregnant women. Your previous hernia history could potentially explain your case. There are some exercises that can help strengthen your core, but surgical correction is also a potential option for patients with diagnosed rectus abdominis muscle diastasis.

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Without an actual physical exam, it is difficult to tell if you have a true diastasis of the muscles, or just a lax abdominal wall.  I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon who will evaluate you, and discuss possible options to correct this.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Do I have a diastasis recti?

Thanks for your inquiry, it is hard to determine by a picture.  If you have a child, it is very common to have developed a diastasis.  Please have an in person consultation to discuss, good luck.  

Do I have diastasis recti?

This is not readily ascertained from the picture presented.  An exam or additional photos would help.
Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA

Diastasis recti

Hello  Thank you for your question and photo. It is too difficult to assess from your photos. It would be best if you had an in person exam with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD