What can I do to correct downward-turned mouth corners and the loose skin that has appeared under my chin? I am 39. (photo)

Surgery Best for Lifting Neck and Lower Face

So far, I have not been impressed with any of the noninvasive methods of tightening loose neck skin and lifting the face. I am also not a fan of thread lifts, which give only temporary results. The best solution for sagging neck and chin skin is a lower facelift or neck lift. Surgery can also address a down-turned mouth. Once the skin and muscles have been tightened, you may look into other anti-aging regimens, such as lasers and peels, to keep your skin youthful and elastic, prolonging the dramatic lift you should get with surgery. Lower face lifts typically last at least 8 years. I hope this helps.

What can I do to correct downward-turned mouth corners and the loose skin that has appeared under my chin?

Hi, based upon the attached photo the chin is quite weak and some jowling is  evident.  Chin augmentation uisng a dermal filler (I prefer Radiesse) or using a chin implant can provide harmony and balance to the lower face.  If you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.  The excess skin can be removed through a small, curved incision under the chin.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Perlane) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Hope this helps.

Injectables & Non-Invasive treatments

Your young so filler around the mouth & corners of mouth may be a good option.  Your under chin may benefit from a non-invasive type of procedure like a radio frequency to tighten the tissues & reduce any fullness.  You may even be a candidate for injectable Kybella, a new product to help reduce the fullness under your chin.  Most non-invasive procedures may take a few treatments.  Your doctor will help decide what the right plan for you may be. 

Good Luck.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

The best way to correct excess submental or neck skin is to perform a facelift.  There are many techniques but depending on your exam, either a mini lift with SMAS manipulation or a formal face and neck lift would be indicated. 

Your rejuvenation options

Thanks for sharing.  From what I can see, you could consider a limited lower face and or neck lift.  This will lift the jowls and the tighten the loose neck skin.  Fillers would help with the corners of the mouth. Consult with an experienced board certified facial plastic surgeon

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Loose Skin on Neck

Better photos are needed for a recommendation.  There is a procedure to correct the downward turned mouth corners. Also, a lower facelift will correct the sagging jowls.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

What can I do to correct downward-turned mouth corners and the loose skin that has appeared under my chin? I am 39.

I'm afraid it is not possible to give much of an evaluation based on a single partial photo. We would need full face front and side and not with the neck turned. But in my practice I start seeing patients that can benefit from a lower face and neck lift in their late 30s and early 40s.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Treatment for loose skin in the neck

In our practice, the most effective treatment for loose skin in the neck is a lower face and neck lift which accomplishes lifting with the jowls, tightening loose facial and neck skin, removal of any fatty deposits in the neck if present, and tightening the neck muscles in 3 locations. For many examples, please see the link and video below

Corners of mouth and neck

Based on your photo, I would recommend dermal filler injections at the corners of the mouth to turn them up and perhaps Botox in the muscle that pulls the corner of the mouth down. It is difficult to assess your neck based on the photo because it is not a true profile view, but it's my impression that you have a bit of laxity of the neck. You might be a good candidate for a less invasive procedure like Ulthera. Consult a Board-Certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon in your area.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon