Having more children after Breast Augmentation, is there any reason not to?

I'm scheduled to have my breast enlargement next month (I'm currently a 32A/B). I have 3 children. I want them doing after the deflated look I have since breastfeeding my youngest 2 for a year each. Is there any reasons not to have anymore children because of my surgery? Me and my husband would like another child in 2, possibly 3 years. People have said I should wait to have my surgery once I am completely done having children but I am not happy with how my breasts are (and haven't for years).

Breast revision

Hello, there's no reason why you should let a breast enlargement procedure stop you having more children and won't effect your ability to have more children. I would advise meeting with a cosmetic surgeon to further discuss your options, but as you may know there is a chance that your breasts may droop again if you have a baby a few years afterwards. You can get a better idea of what the surgery may look like afterwards with our 3D simulation app called Crisalix. Having a breast augmentation and/or lift requires downtime, puts your body under stress and can be costly and therefore, it may be worth the wait to gain the best results from the procedure and avoid having further revision surgery in the future.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, the milk ducts and nipples are left intact, so the breast lift surgery usually will not affect your ability to breastfeed

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Having breast augmentation should not interfere with her ability to have another successful pregnancy.  The reasons most plastic surgeons recommend waiting is because if the breast expands greatly during pregnancy and then become smaller there is risk that the breast will sag and you may need a revision or lift after the subsequent pregnancy.

Pregnancy After a Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question. There should be no problem with pregnancy following a breast augmentation procedure. However, keep in mind that your breasts may change during pregnancy, which could affect your results. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who can fully explain your breast augmentation options. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

It's perfectly fine to have more babies after a breast augment, it happens all the time. But we always want patients to be realistic and understand that, because the changes on the breast from pregnancy are a little unpredictable, you may want the augmentation (or a lift) redone after the pregnancy. It's our job to warn you of these things but you get to make the choice what to do. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

If you are not planning to have a pregnancy for two or three years I think it is reasonable to consider breast augmentation surgery at this time.  However, and it is a big however keep in mind that your breasts will change and possibly become droopy requiring a full uplift even if it is not necessary at the present time.  Consequently, you and your husband have to decide whether it is worth waiting to avoid the risk that the surgery may or may not need to be revised in the future.

I would suggest that you meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a reasonable understanding of the options that are available to you.  The choice of whether to wait or to proceed is a personal one that you and your husband need to make together.  Either way, enjoy your family and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for your question. You can have more children after breast augmentation. Your breasts will go through all the changes during pregnancy and lactation like before. It is purely your personal decision.

Having more children after breast augmentation.

Having performed hundreds of augmentation procedures over the past 30 years, children after breast augmentation was the rule rather than the exception. What we saw was no problems, no regrets, happy patients. Now the population has shifted to many wishing for augmentation after pregnancies. Again we find great results, and even after more pregnancies little need for additional surgery except for implant replacement. Carpi deum.

No reason not to have a BA when planning for future children

Hello, it's not necessarily a bad idea to get breast augmentation even though you are planning for more children. One thing to consider is that any future pregnancy may affect your breast size and shape, so your breast augmentation results may look different at that point. You should also discuss any risks related to your ability to breastfeed (which most studies show is minor to non-existent). Even if your results are changed by pregnancy, you can always consider a lift or revision in the future. Best wishes and good luck.

Adam L. Basner, MD

Breast augmentation before children

Thank you for your question!  One of the reasons why some people may have suggested to wait could due to the possible need for a breast lift following more children.  However if you do not have any current sagging there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't have a breast augmentation prior to more children.  It's best to seek a one-on-one consultation with a qualified surgeon in your area to discuss your options.  Best of luck!