Why are breasts different shaped 6 weeks after BA? (Photos)

Had 320cc that got cc in left side replaced with 520 uhp after 14 years. Since day after surgery right breast has been oval shaped and every week it is more noticable. I am right handed . tried band, massage, laying on implantimplant. Will they even out? Left is a lovely soft feel and good shape. Right is firmer and oval shaped and looks smaller

Breast asymmetry 6 weeks after revision surgery: why?

With a unilateral capsular contracture, your surgeon probably did more work, including a partial capsulectony on the left side.  If your right breast feels firmer, and smaller, that suggests some constriction due to the original capsule.  You need to see how things go over the next several weeks, before making any decisions.  You are doing the right things, and continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Asymmetry after unliateral capsular contracture breast revision.

Let's see if I have this right: after 14 years with 320cc implants, you developed capsular contracture (CC) on the left side and decided to "fix" the left CC and go with bigger implants on both sides. Correct?

Going up from 320cc to 520cc appears to be a good choice, but even on the previously-asymptomatic and presumably soft (no CC) right side, your capsule would need opening up a bit (capsulotomy) to enlarge the pocket for the larger implant.

However, on the left CC side, your surgeon performed a complete capsulectomy, and your body is forming a brand-new larger and soft (at least now) capsule, whereas the right side has most of the old capsule still in place. Bigger implants both side; new capsule entirely left side; old capsule right side. Plus the fact that complete capsulectomy is significantly more surgery, and would naturally involve more swelling than the opposite side.

Size should even out over time as the increased left side swelling resolves. but the right side will likely NOT get softer or change shape, since most of the capsule is the same mature capsule that previously enclosed the smaller 320cc implant. Even though it may have been soft and looked nice with the 320cc implant (especially compared to the hard, distorted CC left side), it's a bit tight and constraining for the new larger implant.

For now, I would recommend implant displacement exercises (check with your surgeon first), and would also add oral Singulair and Vitamin E, which should help both sides in about half of cases. No loss, no foul for the other half it won't help, so why not? But discuss this with your surgeon first, since if things don't work out over time, you may need additional surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Differing breast shape after unilateral capsulectomy

Since you had capsular contracture on the left, I assume the doctor did a capsulectomy or capsule removal.  This is why the larger implant fits more naturally.  You may need at least a partial capsulectomy on the right in order for them to look more symmetrical.  Hope this helps.

Breast asymmetry

In my experience, breast implant asymmetry postoperatively is usually related to fluid if it is not there preoperatively. Sometimes small differences in breast size or shape can be expanded with implants. Most of the time however the swelling can be more on one side compared to the other. If after a month or two this dissimilarity persists, one has to consider a seroma which is a fluid collection inside the breast pocket. A simple in office ultrasound can discern whether or not that is present. Follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon is recommended.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Why are breasts different shaped 6 weeks after BA?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I can see your concern but at only 6 weeks you are still recently out from surgery.  I feel that your pictures demonstrate the beginning of your right breast implant dropping to better match your left breast, likely as a result of the resolution of breast skin and muscle swelling.  It is not uncommon to have one implant drop sooner than the other, especially with an increase in size.  I think over the next couple of weeks you should see steady redistribution of your right implant to further approximate the appearance of your left.  Hang in there!

You are still early in recovery. First check your pre op to see if there was an asymmetry. Since you increased your size the right pocket may be smaller. Follow up with your surgeon to check for swelling or seroma on larger size.

Different shape

Thanks for your question.  It can take months for your breast shape to change after surgery.  If you are noticing a change in shape on the non-operated side this would be something to discuss with your surgeon.

Breast shape difference after reaug

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

It is difficult to say without seeing the preoperative pictures. There are intrinsic differences to the footprint of the breast. the right one has a nipple that is lower. Overall you have a nice result.

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey