Got BA yesterday, feeling a lot of pain today & breasts are swollen & in my left breast I feel like there's a lump & tightness?

Hey guys I got BA yesterday, feeling a lot of pain today and breasts are swollen and in my left breast I feel like there's a lump and tightness , also feel like I can't stand up straight and is sore when I try to do so is this normal?

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Discomfort After Breast Augmentation In The Immediate Postoperative Period

Yes, the answer to your question is that what you are experiencing after your breast augmentation is entirely normal.  Most likely your breast implants were placed in a sub pectoral position, and so those feelings of swelling and tightness are directly related to your pectoralis major muscle being stretched by the implant than now lies beneath it.  

In the immediate postoperative period, we recommend that our breast augmentation patients use ice packs on their chest for the swelling, and take muscle relaxants for the first couple of weeks after surgery to reduce the sensation of tightness of the chest. It is also important that you not use your arms to support your weight, and not lift them over your head for the first two weeks after surgery, nor should you lift anything heavier than 5lbs or so. 

The good news is, that over time, the breast implant will actually stretch the pectorals major muscle, which will allow it to descend lower on the chest wall, and when this occurs, the "lumpiness you perceive, as well as the tightness of the chest will abate.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

S/p breast augmentation

Swelling, bruising and tightness all are very common in the first few days following breast augmentation. Probably safest to let your surgeon know how you are doing, though.

Breast Augmentation

You are very early in your recovery. What you are experiencing appears to be normal. It will take time for the pain and swelling to subside. Contact your surgeon with any with any questions and concerns. Best wishes.

Post Op Discomfort

It is normal to feel sore, tight and swollen over the first few days after BA surgery and this should resolve somewhat by two weeks post op. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have concerning changes.

All the best

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation

It is the norm to have some pain post-op especially one day out.  Any immediate concerns, should be addressed by your surgeon.

Pain After Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question and congratulations on your recent breast augmentation. At only one-day post-op, pain, swelling, and moderate discomfort can be expected. A breast augmentation recovery can take between one and two weeks. After the first few days, the pain should diminish, although you may still feel tired and tender. For further advice, I would encourage you to speak with your operating surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your individual surgical procedure and medical history. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

should expect the skin to soften and the implant to settle at about three months after surgery.  Please follow up with your surgeon. 

breast exercises are helpful in allowing the implant to settle into a more supple envelope. I think about 3 months of breast exercises are sufficient. The only contraindication to breast exercises is when textured anatomical implants are used. 

I usually instruct my patient not to carry anything heavier than 15lbs for at least 2 full weeks and return gradually to regular activity level at 4 weeks.

Best Of Luck!!

Breast augmentation recovery

It is normal to experience soreness and tightness at this phase.  Swelling will be present for several weeks.  Make sure to follow all post operative instructions from your surgeon and contact him/her with any concerns that you have.  Your surgeon is most familiar with the details of your surgery and therefore is the best person to advise you.

Camille Cash, MD