Do I have bad gynecomastia or am I overweight? (Photo)

Hi. Guys I think I have gyno but my gp thinks I need to lose some weight . I was on tamoxifen 2 years ago for 1 year but decided to see how things went without . Anyway some days looks worse than others . I'm currently in the gym 4 days a week lifting weights .shall I get fitter and see how things go . Opinions please

I recommend an in person consultation.  Seek a plastic surgeon who performs many of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Do you have bad gynecomastia

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Gynecomastia vs. Being Overweight

If you are constantly working out and not seeing the results you want, you may have gynecomastia, but I can’t give an accurate diagnosis without an in-person consultation. Gynecomastia can be easily fixed with either liposuction or a breast reduction. Nothing to be ashamed of, but I recommend further discussing your options with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Krishna Dash, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Do I have bad gynecomastia or am I overweight?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate  as uncomfortable as gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

My best suggestion: get to where you want to be through healthy diet/exercise, if you are not already there.  Then, if you remain concerned about the appearance of the chest wall, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Losing weight is not enough

U have real gynecomastia with excess skin and saggy breasts.You need to see the best ,most experience gynecomastia surgeon

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

if you can realistically drop some weight,  that is of course the first order of business before looking into surgery. Give it six months to a year. If there's not enough improvement find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in this operation. This can be done as an outpatient operation using a tiny spot inside you armpit so there's no visible scar on the front of your chest and you should anticipate a good result. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to Better Determine

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. 
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.