Are my Afro hair transplant exceptions too great? (Photo)

Hi, I am 23 years of age and showing slow hairline hairloss. Very few balding men in my family except on my mothers side but i've never been able to get over how naturally high my hairline is. I've always desired a hairline below where my hairline actually is. Ive attached some photos of roughly where I'd like it.

It is best to see a doctor for consultation for cosmetic procedures such as a hair transplant surgery.

It is best to see a doctor for consultation for cosmetic procedures such as a hair transplant surgery.  You would need an examination and clear understanding of realistic expectations of a hair transplant surgery.  Photos are a good start but it is not enough for a recommendation.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline

the best thing to do is have a formal consultation with a hair restoration surgeon, who can evaluate your scalp and have an honest discussion about your hairline and your possibility for further loss.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Expectations for correcting high forehead

jcarters,

It does not look like you have AGA with progressive thinning right now, but such an aggressive hair line can be difficult to keep up with, if it should occur. The general shape of the hair line you drew would work well, however, I would recommend a little less aggressive hair line. It is very important to look at your donor area before making definitive recommendation.

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline lowering

I would not advise for you to proceed with a hairline lowering procedure at your very young age.  If you commit to a lower hairline and your hair loss progresses then you will be left with a very unnatural appearing hairline in the future.  It is best to wait at least until your mid to late twenties before considering a hairline lowering surgery.  

Yes, it can be done, but timing is everything

The short answer is yes, you can do a hair transplant. But the big question is are you losing your hair or do you just have a high hairline? If we knew that your hairline wasn't going to change over the next 10-20 years, then you'd be a great candidate to do something now.  But it's impossible to predict that.  Grafting now may make you look really silly in a few years if the next inch of hairline falls out too.  The you have a wall of hair in front of a bald spot -- not natural! It's not a bad idea to go talk to a hair transplant surgeon now and get your options, but proceed with caution!  Good luck.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

23 year old with early hair loss

I don't like to perform surgery on any 23 year old until I know what the balding pattern will eventually be. This takes at least until 26 years old. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon