5 weeks post op and still feel swollen inside? (Photo)

I'm 5 weeks post op tummy tuck, lipo and muscle repair. I feel great and can do most things now. But I'm at my flatest in the morning and during the day I will swell. It feels like my whole abs are swollen. Is this normal ? I still wear my binder of an evening and sleep in it and during the day I wear spanx

5 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (5 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Swelling after tummy tuck

Hello and thanks for the question. 

Swelling following an abdominoplasty is to be expected. Certainly, at 5 weeks post-op you are very early in the healing process, and it is very common to experience more swelling as the day goes on. This is physiologically to be expected. You can expect resolution of swelling to end somewhere around the 4 month mark.  

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Tummy tuck recovery time

Hello! thank you for your question and  picture. You should know is normal some swelling because your tissues are still in recuperation and healing, you must follow the instructions from your board certified plastic surgeon avoiding heavy sports or strenuous activities and wait at least 3-6 months for a complete recuperation, sometimes even more. Good Luck!

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Swelling 5 weeks after TT

Thank you for your question. You got good results. Having some residual is not uncommon and it can vary from time to time in a day. It will continue to get better. Please follow instructions from your PS

5 weeks post op and still feel swollen inside

This is completely normal and you can expect this swelling game to last for up to 6 months. The best thing to do is to continue wearing your compression garment and to follow all of your surgeons post op instructions. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still relatively early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for three to six months following your tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Hi, Thank you for your question. Swelling at the end of the day is normal during the healing process. If you have an event to go to I would recommend wearing the garment during the day. This will help to keep some of the swelling down. Follow up with your plastic surgeon if you have any concerns.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

It is normal to still have some swelling at this stage and as you get back to full function you will often see changes to the swelling thought the day. Keep in touch with your PS

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon