4 weeks post op Tummy Tuck. (photo)

Can I keep using inodine?

Wound Healing after a Tummy Tuck

That wound will eventually heal in with good wound care.   See your plastic surgeon weekly, so that he/she can gently debride it (cut out the bad tissue and any exposed stitches that are causing problems), and pack it gently.   Iodine is not necessary. And, in fact, the iodine might be irritating the tissue.   Packing can be achieved with saline moistened packing strips or gauze twice a day.  The deep layer and skin edges will eventually heal in and come together.   Then you can use whatever scar therapy your doctor recommends.

Best Wishes!

Post-Op Incision

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you have further questions about the healing of your incision and settling of your scars it would be good to visit your surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Suture extrusion

Thank you for the question and photo.  All wound healing issues should be monitored and managed by your plastic surgeon since the wound will require different things along the way depending on what caused it as well as how it heals.  I suspect that you have a suture extrusion of some sort alone or in addition to other wound healing issues.  If this is the case, your plastic surgeon should remove that suture to allow healing to progress.

Good luck with your tummy tuck recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wound issue

Thank you for the photo. It appears you either have a suture (stitch abscess) or a small wound separation. Neither of which are major complications and should heal up very well with wound care. Your surgeon should be aware of this and can offer his or her best approach to getting the area healed up.

Wound care

The area you are showing may represent a stitch abscess or a small wound infection. Bets to check in with your PS about treatment and get it looked at.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon