32AA surgeon suggested teardrop. I'm not too sure. Will I be able to achieve the look I want? (Photo)

Hi. I've been for my consultation. I am 9 stone and height is 5ft 7 wearing size 8. have been told 380cc in my left breast and 425cc in my right or if I was going to go the size smaller 330cc and 375 cc using silicone tear drop breast implants. I did want the more rounded affect but not to fake looking. I was hoping to get to a large C / D cup. I show her pictures of the look I want to achieve. And the lady did say to me she can't fit round due to my nipple drooping slightly so tear drop would lift it?

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Best breast implants for me?

Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "large C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

32AA surgeon suggested teardrop. I'm not too sure. Will I be able to achieve the look I want?

Thank you for your question.  You have.  Be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation and it is possible that  different sized implants  may improve your symmetry.   Breast implant size should be based on the base with management of your breast which should have been measured by your plastic surgeon.  I usually recommend that you choose  the surgeon who is most experienced and with whom your most comfortable and allow the surgeon to choose the type and styled implant that they prefer.That said however, and a recent meeting of board-certified plastic surgeons with experience in cosmetic surgery a survey during a breast course revealed that 83% of those experienced surgeons used smooth round silicone gel implants.  If you are at all in doubt get a second opinion from an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Augmentation Implant Selection

Thanks so much for your question and photo.  You're an excellent candidate for augmentation and the implant sizes suggested (around 400 cc) would certainly give you a C/D result.  The size discrepancy between sides, which is totally normal, can easily be improved using different sized implants.  Specific size determination should be based on a thorough physical exam by your surgeon.  For a routine augmentation there is really no need to consider anatomic or shaped implants.  You can achieve an excellent result with round implants without the potential issues that can arise should an anatomic implant rotate in its pocket.

Implant type can be chosen based on measurements and desired outcome

Thanks for your photo and the questions. Unfortunately without an exam and measurements it is hard to give accurate suggestions. Those sizes are pretty large for your frame it would appear. I do think you will do great with augmentation however. There are adv/disadv to both round and shaped implants. I believe that round implants are the best choices in the majority of patients. In those who have a short distance from the nipple to the crease, I will use the shaped implant. Using the Vectra 3D imaging the patient seems to get a good idea of what an expected outcome can look like. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Round or teardrop shaped breast implants?

You appear to me to be a good candidate for breast augmentation whether you receive teardrop or round implants.  At a recent national plastic surgeons meeting an audience of 2 to 300 plastic surgeons could not guess accurately whether photographs of patients who underwent surgery had received round or teardrop shape implants!  My preference is for the use of round smooth implants but others prefer the teardrop shape and is most important that the surgeon you choose be allowed to use the implant with which he/she is most comfortable.  Once you found that surgeon your best advice to let them use their best judgment.
Look forward to enjoying your results.  Good luck and best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Unfortunately we can't adequately evaluate you from the photos with your arms raised as that changes the breast shape. And we have no photos to understand the goal look you want. It might be a good idea to resubmit your question to get better answers, but another good idea would be to get 2-3 more consults locally as each surgeon will have a different idea of what might work best for you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant selection

As you can read on the internet and from the remarks made by the other plastic surgeons that have responded to your question, size selection is guided by your chest dimensions,  In your case it also sounds like the size may be dictated by the surgeon's approach and experience.  I would suggest a consultation with a plastic surgeon who has experience with taller women and larger implants.  3D imaging will also help you in the selection of the implant size.  Get at least 2 opinions.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon