Breast implant recovery?

I am considering breast implants. My option is to have the surgery on a Wednesday and return to work on Monday. I'm a dental hygienist and only work Monday and Tuesday. Is this possible? I've read that recovery is only a few days but I'm nervous. Any advise would be helpful. Thank you:)

Breast Augmentation Recovery

You will experience some swelling or discomfort as the anaesthetic wears off, which is managed with prescribed pain relief. Usually you are able to go home on the day of your operation, but in some circumstances your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay in a hospital.

You will return for a check -up within the first few days after surgery. You should expect some initial swelling and firmness – this is normal. Tape is applied to the healing wounds to help reduce scar formation. You will be provided with instructions on care of your surgical site and you will need to wear your surgical support bra for three to four weeks afterwards. Swelling normally takes up to six weeks to settle and your stitches should dissolve over three months or so. A small scar will remain either under the breast fold, in the areola, or in the natural crease under the arm. The scar’s appearance will gradually improve over three to nine months. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Quick recovery after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It is possible to have your breast aug in the time period you have mentioned. Using the no touch technique, most of my patients take a long weekend to recover after their surgery. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast implant recovery?

Hi, and thank you for your question.

Yes in my opinion is possible for you to assist to work, but only if you do not have to lift any weight.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Breast Implants

Hi SL,
Yes this is common with most of our patients.  I am assuming you have normal healing and don't have a complication, which is pretty uncommon, like less than 1%.  Some people call this quick recovery approach a gimmick, but then why is it published in many plastic surgery journals. I like your plan.  See the video and web link below about recovery after BA.  All the best, Dr. Joe

Breast implants

Thank you for your question.  As every patient has their own unique recovery experience, it is not possible to say how your recovery process will be.  However, most patients find that after breast augmentation, they are able to return to light office work one week after surgery.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

#BreastAugmentation Recovery

This is variable with every patient and procedure. It is impossible to tell you specifics. Make sure your employer knows as you may not be able to work a full day.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.
Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast implant recovery

Thank you for your question.  Recovery can be different for each individual.  I think it is reasonable to think you could return to work on Monday following surgery on Wednesday.

Breadst Augmentation and Time Off Work

Recovery time for breast augmentation is typically a week if you are going under the muscle.  You are using you arms and hands and will be tensing your chest muscles as you work at your job.
If you are going over the muscle, the time frame that you have in mind is more feasible.
Good luck.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

BA recovery.

Hello. Thanks for asking your question. Recovery varies from patient to patient but usually light activities can be resumed after a week. Your job, however, is labor intensive so you should try to arrange for a few more days off. 

Good luck

Dr. Burnett

Breast implant recovery?

Thank you for posting your question.  I advise my patients to be off work 3-4 days if their work is mostly at a desk.  For patients that must use their arms more, I advise them to be off work a week if at all possible.  Your plastic surgeon will have specific post-operative recommendations for you.  Best wishes.

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon